    Guys - Why java is implemented in stack ?

    Rakesh

    , Apr 24, 2007

  2. Eric Sosman Guest

    wrote On 04/24/07 17:10,:
    > Please help
    >
    > Guys - Why java is implemented in stack ?

    Why not?

    P.S.: Some of the best help you'll find around
    here doesn't come from "guys."

    Eric Sosman, Apr 24, 2007

  3. David Segall Guest

    Eric Sosman <> wrote:

    > P.S.: Some of the best help you'll find around
    >here doesn't come from "guys."

    Guys is a gender neutral term when used by young Australians or
    residents of the northern United States. It seems that Southerners use
    "y'all" instead. <http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/guys.html>

    David Segall, Apr 25, 2007
  4. Lew Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > Eric Sosman <> wrote:
    >> P.S.: Some of the best help you'll find around
    >> here doesn't come from "guys."

    > Guys is a gender neutral term when used by young Australians or
    > residents of the northern United States. It seems that Southerners use
    > "y'all" instead. <http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/guys.html>

    Not just northern U.S. I believe it's popular on the West Coast, too.

    Regardless, the question makes no sense to me.

    > Why java [sic] is implemented in stack ?

    What do you mean, exactly? I do not understand the phrase "implemented in
    stack" in this context.

    Certainly, the Java language, like every computer language I've heard of, uses
    stack structures to implement some of its activities. It also uses heap,
    sticking with the memory world.

    Are you asking why the Java Virtual Machine uses the stack for certain things?
    For the same reason every other computer language does, it's convenient and
    fast for certain things. (Which, in turn, is why computers have a stack in
    the first place.)

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Apr 25, 2007
  5. David Segall Guest

    Lew <> wrote:

    >David Segall wrote:
    >> Eric Sosman <> wrote:
    >>> P.S.: Some of the best help you'll find around
    >>> here doesn't come from "guys."

    >> Guys is a gender neutral term when used by young Australians or
    >> residents of the northern United States. It seems that Southerners use
    >> "y'all" instead. <http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/guys.html>

    >Not just northern U.S. I believe it's popular on the West Coast, too.

    Is there a term for "not Southern States"? I thought of using Yankees
    but, even in its broader meaning, that does not seems to include
    California.

    David Segall, Apr 25, 2007
  6. Eric Sosman Guest

    [OT] Re: Baisc One

    David Segall wrote On 04/25/07 02:23,:
    > Eric Sosman <> wrote:
    >
    >> P.S.: Some of the best help you'll find around
    >>here doesn't come from "guys."

    > Guys is a gender neutral term when used by young Australians or
    > residents of the northern United States. It seems that Southerners use
    > "y'all" instead. <http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/guys.html>

    Please explain the gender-neutrality of "Guys and Dolls."

    ("Luck, be a person tonight" -- pfui!)

    Eric Sosman, Apr 25, 2007
  7. [OT] Re: Baisc One

    Lew wrote:
    > David Segall wrote:
    >> Eric Sosman <> wrote:
    >>> P.S.: Some of the best help you'll find around
    >>> here doesn't come from "guys."

    >> Guys is a gender neutral term when used by young Australians or
    >> residents of the northern United States. It seems that Southerners use
    >> "y'all" instead. <http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/guys.html>

    > Not just northern U.S. I believe it's popular on the West Coast, too.

    Hi gals,

    To me, the test of true gender neutrality is whether the singular form
    would be used to refer to one person regardless of gender. Nobody has
    ever called me a guy. Indeed, I've heard "It's a guy thing." applied to
    stereotype men.

    On the other hand, "you" is commonly used to address both men and women,
    so its southern US plural, "y'all", is truly gender neutral.

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, Apr 26, 2007
  8. Lew wrote:
    > David Segall wrote:
    >> Eric Sosman <> wrote:
    >>> P.S.: Some of the best help you'll find around
    >>> here doesn't come from "guys."

    >> Guys is a gender neutral term when used by young Australians or
    >> residents of the northern United States. It seems that Southerners use
    >> "y'all" instead. <http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/guys.html>

    > Not just northern U.S. I believe it's popular on the West Coast, too.
    >
    > Regardless, the question makes no sense to me.
    >
    >> Why java [sic] is implemented in stack ?

    > What do you mean, exactly? I do not understand the phrase "implemented
    > in stack" in this context.
    >
    > Certainly, the Java language, like every computer language I've heard
    > of, uses stack structures to implement some of its activities. It also
    > uses heap, sticking with the memory world.
    >
    > Are you asking why the Java Virtual Machine uses the stack for certain
    > things? For the same reason every other computer language does, it's
    > convenient and fast for certain things. (Which, in turn, is why
    > computers have a stack in the first place.)

    However, bytecode goes further down that path than many instruction
    sets, using stack accesses in place of registers.

    One reason may be target machine neutrality. Register based instruction
    sets are great if the compiler knows the number of registers in the
    target machine. A Java to bytecode compiler does not have that sort of
    information.

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, Apr 26, 2007
  9. David Segall Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Baisc One

    Eric Sosman <> wrote:

    >David Segall wrote On 04/25/07 02:23,:
    >> Eric Sosman <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> P.S.: Some of the best help you'll find around
    >>>here doesn't come from "guys."

    >> Guys is a gender neutral term when used by young Australians or
    >> residents of the northern United States. It seems that Southerners use
    >> "y'all" instead. <http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/guys.html>

    > Please explain the gender-neutrality of "Guys and Dolls."

    I'll ignore the gross change of context and remind you that I did say
    young ... Frank Loesser would be 97 and Damon Runyan 122

    David Segall, Apr 26, 2007
  10. Eric Sosman Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Baisc One

    David Segall wrote On 04/26/07 10:48,:
    > Eric Sosman <> wrote:
    >

    >>David Segall wrote On 04/25/07 02:23,:

    >>>Guys is a gender neutral term when used by young Australians or
    >>>residents of the northern United States. It seems that Southerners use
    >>>"y'all" instead. <http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/guys.html>

    >> Please explain the gender-neutrality of "Guys and Dolls."

    > I'll ignore the gross change of context and remind you that I did say
    > young ... Frank Loesser would be 97 and Damon Runyan 122

    ... and neither of them Australian. (Probably a good
    thing, because if young Australians can't tell guys from
    dolls the continent's population will dwindle away, and
    then what will happen to the old-age pensions of the few,
    doddering survivors? ;-)

    Eric Sosman, Apr 26, 2007