Baisc One

Lew

David said:
Guys is a gender neutral term when used by young Australians or
residents of the northern United States. It seems that Southerners use
"y'all" instead. <http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/guys.html>

Not just northern U.S. I believe it's popular on the West Coast, too.

Regardless, the question makes no sense to me.
Why java [sic] is implemented in stack ?

What do you mean, exactly? I do not understand the phrase "implemented in
stack" in this context.

Certainly, the Java language, like every computer language I've heard of, uses
stack structures to implement some of its activities. It also uses heap,
sticking with the memory world.

Are you asking why the Java Virtual Machine uses the stack for certain things?
For the same reason every other computer language does, it's convenient and
fast for certain things. (Which, in turn, is why computers have a stack in
the first place.)

David Segall

Lew said:
Not just northern U.S. I believe it's popular on the West Coast, too.
Is there a term for "not Southern States"? I thought of using Yankees
but, even in its broader meaning, that does not seems to include
California.

Patricia Shanahan

Lew said:
Not just northern U.S. I believe it's popular on the West Coast, too.

Hi gals,

To me, the test of true gender neutrality is whether the singular form
would be used to refer to one person regardless of gender. Nobody has
ever called me a guy. Indeed, I've heard "It's a guy thing." applied to
stereotype men.

On the other hand, "you" is commonly used to address both men and women,
so its southern US plural, "y'all", is truly gender neutral.

Patricia

Patricia Shanahan

Lew said:
David said:
[...]

However, bytecode goes further down that path than many instruction
sets, using stack accesses in place of registers.

One reason may be target machine neutrality. Register based instruction
sets are great if the compiler knows the number of registers in the
target machine. A Java to bytecode compiler does not have that sort of
information.

Patricia

David Segall

Eric Sosman said:
David Segall wrote On 04/25/07 02:23,:

Please explain the gender-neutrality of "Guys and Dolls."
I'll ignore the gross change of context and remind you that I did say
young ... Frank Loesser would be 97 and Damon Runyan 122

Eric Sosman

David Segall wrote On 04/26/07 10:48,:
I'll ignore the gross change of context and remind you that I did say
young ... Frank Loesser would be 97 and Damon Runyan 122

... and neither of them Australian. (Probably a good
thing, because if young Australians can't tell guys from
dolls the continent's population will dwindle away, and
then what will happen to the old-age pensions of the few,
doddering survivors? ;-)