bandwidth calculation

vadim

Hi,

Does anybody have an idea on how to reply to a client who's asking about how
much bandwidth my app will need.
It's asp.net app with SQL Server backend. Is there any general rule of thumb
on how to do this? Without going to packet size and so on.

Thank you

Vadim

Ken Dopierala Jr.

Hi Vadim,

If this is an application you have already written then using a statistics
package which comes with most hosts can tell you pretty easily how much
bandwidth you are using for one user. Then just multiply that by the number
of expected users. If you havn't written the app yet then you'll need to
take a look at your requirements. How big are your pages going to be? Do
you have a lot of graphics or is it mostly HTML? Are you displaying one
record at a time or will the pages display large lists of data? You will
need to take a quick mental test drive through the future app to determine
how users will navigate and how frequently. This is really a completely
wide open question. My best suggestion is look at your requirements, use
common sense to determine how users will use the app (OK! There is an
oxymoron if there ever was one!), and come up with your best estimate based
on their requirements. But like I said, if this is an app you sell and you
have already built it then just throw it up on a server with statistics and
take a look at what you are using. Good luck! Ken.

vadim

Ken, Thank you.

That's what I was trying to do, to use the statistics on the server, I just
thought I might be missing something.

Regards

Vadim

Ken Dopierala Jr.

Hi Vadim,

Those will give you a good idea of bandwidth you are dishing out in total
and bandwidth per user. The only thing you would be missing is the
bandwidth between your app and the database. If you pay for hosting and are
concerned about cost you shouldn't need to worry about this, I've never seen
a host who calculated this and counted it against bandwidth. Going off the
statistics will give you the numbers you need to determine how much you are
sending to a user and how much you are using as a whole. Ken.