bank space

Tony Vella

I would like to create a list of countries without using LIs - just by hand
like this:

Argentina><br>
Brazil><br> etc.

But I would like the A of Argentina and the B of Brazil to be, say, under
the U of countries (indented, I guess). Is there a way I can do this in
HTML without using the <li> system? TIA.

Chris Morris

Tony Vella said:
I would like to create a list of countries without using LIs - just by hand
like this:

Argentina><br>
Brazil><br> etc.

But I would like the A of Argentina and the B of Brazil to be, say, under
the U of countries (indented, I guess). Is there a way I can do this in
HTML without using the <li> system? TIA.

Why not just use <li>? You're creating a list so list items seem to
be the sensible way to do it.

Tony Vella

OK, I'll bite. Because the <li> system gives me 2 or 3 blank lines between
countries and argentina which I don't want.. The LI system comes looking
ike this:

countries

(indent)* argentina
(indent)* brazil.

While what I want is like this:

countries
(ind) argentina
(ind) brazil

I'm sorry I'm not very good at explaining these things.

Chris Morris

Tony Vella said:
OK, I'll bite. Because the <li> system gives me 2 or 3 blank lines between
countries and argentina which I don't want.. The LI system comes looking
ike this:

countries

(indent)* argentina
(indent)* brazil.

While what I want is like this:

countries
(ind) argentina
(ind) brazil

Okay, that's not a problem, you can still use <li>, you just have to
change it off the default styles:

<h2 class="clist">Countries</h2>
<ul class="clist">
<li>argentina</li>
</ul>

Then attach a stylesheet with the following content. You might need
to play around with margin-left: and padding-left: in the ul.clist
and/or ul.clist li styles to get the margin where you want it:

h2.clist { margin-bottom: 0; padding-bottom: 0; }
ul.clist { margin-top: 0; padding-top: 0; }
ul.clist li { list-style-type: none; }

Tony Vella

Thanks very much. Without pretending to understand I have printed your
reply out and shall followit religiously. Thanks again.

Sid Ismail

: I would like to create a list of countries without using LIs - just by hand
: like this:
:
: Argentina><br>
: Brazil><br> etc.
:
: But I would like the A of Argentina and the B of Brazil to be, say, under
: the U of countries (indented, I guess). Is there a way I can do this in
: HTML without using the <li> system? TIA.

Argentina><br>
Brazil><br> etc.
..
..
..
..
..

Sid

Tony Vella

wrote:

: I would like to create a list of countries without using LIs - just by hand
: like this:
:
: Argentina><br>
: Brazil><br> etc.
:
: But I would like the A of Argentina and the B of Brazil to be, say, under
: the U of countries (indented, I guess). Is there a way I can do this in
: HTML without using the <li> system? TIA.

Argentina><br>
Brazil><br> etc.
.
.
.
.
.
Bang on at 2.5! Thanks.
Tony

Sid Ismail

: Tony Vella wrote:
:
: >><div style="margin-left:1.2em;">
: >>Argentina><br>
: >>Brazil><br> etc.
: >>.
: >>.
: >>.
: >>.
: >>.
: > Bang on at 2.5! Thanks.
: > Tony
:
: If you don't like accessibility, that is. Lists should be marked up as
: lists.

So.... he's drinking coffee from a tea cup... It tastes nice then too!

Sid