Banner image visible?

Dominic Myers

Hi there.

I've a strange problem with an image on a site
I've written.
For me it works a treat and I'm looking at it with
Opera 8.5, FF 1.0.7, IE 6 and Avant 10.1 Build 30
(Which I guess is just IE made
pretty) on Windows XP with SP2 and Safari, Opera
8.5 and FF 1.0.7 on
Mac OS X.3. The page should look like this:
<http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=indigo0016du.jpg>
but instead looks like this:
<http://img436.imageshack.us/my.php?image=site9zu.jpg>
and this generally is the case in IE 6 and FireFox
on Windows machines. I should add that it's some
but not all Windows machines! Anyone any ideas as
to why this might be happening as it's doing my
poor head in. The page is at
<http://indigo.camshag.co.uk> by the way.

Thanks in advance,

Dom

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Dominic Myers quothed:
Hi there.

I've a strange problem with an image on a site
I've written.
For me it works a treat and I'm looking at it with
Opera 8.5, FF 1.0.7, IE 6 and Avant 10.1 Build 30
(Which I guess is just IE made
pretty) on Windows XP with SP2 and Safari, Opera
8.5 and FF 1.0.7 on
Mac OS X.3. The page should look like this:
<http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=indigo0016du.jpg>
but instead looks like this:
<http://img436.imageshack.us/my.php?image=site9zu.jpg>
and this generally is the case in IE 6 and FireFox
on Windows machines. I should add that it's some
but not all Windows machines! Anyone any ideas as
to why this might be happening as it's doing my
poor head in. The page is at
<http://indigo.camshag.co.uk> by the way.

Try inserting a height and width for banner.gif.

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [Dominic Myers] on Friday 21 October 2005 23:43 \__
Hi there.

I've a strange problem with an image on a site
I've written.
For me it works a treat and I'm looking at it with
Opera 8.5, FF 1.0.7, IE 6 and Avant 10.1 Build 30
(Which I guess is just IE made
pretty) on Windows XP with SP2 and Safari, Opera
8.5 and FF 1.0.7 on
Mac OS X.3. The page should look like this:
<http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=indigo0016du.jpg>
but instead looks like this:
<http://img436.imageshack.us/my.php?image=site9zu.jpg>
and this generally is the case in IE 6 and FireFox
on Windows machines. I should add that it's some
but not all Windows machines! Anyone any ideas as
to why this might be happening as it's doing my
poor head in. The page is at
<http://indigo.camshag.co.uk> by the way.

Thanks in advance,

The page looks exactly the same as in the latter screenshot under Firefox
upon Linux. Same with Mozilla and Konqueror.http://imageshack.us/?x=my6

That green element just doesn't show up. Why is it cut at the bottom, by the
way? It looks unfinished... but overall the page is pretty.

You must add some fonts, if at all specify any. Some platforms might not have
'Ariel'.

My modest take...

Roy

Jonathan N. Little

Dominic said:
[...]

One question, why are you using a image for such a simple logo that
could be easily created with plain Helvetica font on a purple
background? It would be much smaller for one thing and there are a lest
of other reaons I am sure the other will pipe in to detail...

dorayme

From: Roy Schestowitz said:
[...]

As it happened, I looked up the font because the para text
looked nice (in font not so much colour) on my screen and I
wanted to check it and saw 'Arial' in the body{} of the linked
css at http://indigo.camshag.co.uk/resources/index.css, then read
your post.

Are you saying the quotes are not supposed to be there? (I
assume a typo by you for "Arial" unless there is an instance I
missed on my quick glance...). Or more and that there should be
a fuller range of fonts... Is the effect of the quotes to make
some browsers ignore the font intended?

To the OP, your page looked nice till I enlarged the fonts a
bit, it broke up quickly and horribly when the fonts are
enlarged. See http://dorayme.150m.com/indigo.jpg

Dominic Myers

message
From: Roy Schestowitz
<[email protected]>

[...]

Roy and dorayme,

Oops... was a typo with Ariel originally being
used instead of Arial
;-)

No image for you Roy? Can't work out what the
problem is. I've replaced the image with an image
in a table (Can't beat 'em join 'em... then again
I'm not such a purist that I can't appreciate the
use of tables sometimes ;-)), the replacement
means that the banner is the right size but the
image isn't visible still. Just can't work it out
at all tbh.

Any ideas?

Dom

Dominic Myers

in message
One question, why are you using a image for such
a simple logo that could be easily created with
plain Helvetica font on a purple background? It
would be much smaller for one thing and there
are a lest of other reaons I am sure the other
will pipe in to detail...

I was having all sorts of trouble placing the text
just so within the original banner just using CSS.
Thus the image. Was originally a jpeg but now a
gif so it's smaller at least. Difficult with these
creative types. I'm guessing you can see the image
at least? What's your browser set up?
Cheers, Dom

Jonathan N. Little

Dominic Myers wrote:
I was having all sorts of trouble placing the text
just so within the original banner just using CSS.
Thus the image. Was originally a jpeg but now a
gif so it's smaller at least. Difficult with these
creative types. I'm guessing you can see the image
at least? What's your browser set up?
Cheers, Dom

Aw shucks sure you can! ;-) Couple of itty-bitty GIFs and a little
style...here is one way. I am sure others could find a better way...

http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/alt.html.20051022.html