    that makes any difference.

    Thanks,
    ~hamburger

    hamburger, Oct 21, 2004

  2. "hamburger" <> wrote in message
    news:4177c611$0$19059$...
    > Hey there,
    >
    > I don't run the server my website is on; I only have webspace on it. The
    > server is pretty basic and doesn't allow CGI or anything like that.
    > Nevertheless, is there any way for me to ban certain domains or
    > countries from accessing the site? It has its own domain name in case
    > that makes any difference.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > ~hamburger

    ..htaccess

    Regards
    Richard Grove
    http://www.shopmaker.co.uk - Ecommerce Shop Systems

    Richard Grove - ®ed Eye Media, Oct 21, 2004

  3. hamburger wrote:

    > Hey there,
    >
    > I don't run the server my website is on; I only have webspace on it. The
    > server is pretty basic and doesn't allow CGI or anything like that.
    > Nevertheless, is there any way for me to ban certain domains or
    > countries from accessing the site? It has its own domain name in case
    > that makes any difference.

    Can't be done. A user could use a proxy.

    Why would you want to ban countries?

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

    Charles Sweeney, Oct 21, 2004
  4. hamburger

    hamburger Guest

    Charles Sweeney wrote:

    > hamburger wrote:
    >

    >>Hey there,
    >>
    >>I don't run the server my website is on; I only have webspace on it. The
    >>server is pretty basic and doesn't allow CGI or anything like that.
    >>Nevertheless, is there any way for me to ban certain domains or
    >>countries from accessing the site? It has its own domain name in case
    >>that makes any difference.

    > Can't be done. A user could use a proxy.
    >
    > Why would you want to ban countries?

    These users wouldn't bother. Nor would they know how to, most likely. I
    basically just want to ban a handful of specific users from the site,
    and since the website is only relevant to residents of my own country, I
    figure I might as well just ban the entire countries of the users. I
    tried to upload the .htaccess file to the root directory of my webspace,
    but the file just disappeared. I suppose that means my host doesn't
    support it?

    ~hamburger

    hamburger, Oct 21, 2004
  5. hamburger wrote:

    > Charles Sweeney wrote:
    >
    >> hamburger wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hey there,
    >>>
    >>>I don't run the server my website is on; I only have webspace on it.
    >>>The server is pretty basic and doesn't allow CGI or anything like
    >>>that. Nevertheless, is there any way for me to ban certain domains or
    >>>countries from accessing the site? It has its own domain name in case
    >>>that makes any difference.

    >> Can't be done. A user could use a proxy.
    >>
    >> Why would you want to ban countries?
    >>

    > These users wouldn't bother. Nor would they know how to, most likely.
    > I basically just want to ban a handful of specific users from the
    > site, and since the website is only relevant to residents of my own
    > country, I figure I might as well just ban the entire countries of the
    > users. I tried to upload the .htaccess file to the root directory of
    > my webspace, but the file just disappeared. I suppose that means my
    > host doesn't support it?

    Although your service is not aimed at people outside your country, what's
    the harm in them seeing your site? Why bother "banning" them, seems a bit
    extreme to me, and much more bother than it's worth?

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

    Charles Sweeney, Oct 21, 2004
  6. hamburger

    Matt Probert Guest

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:20:08 +1000 hamburger
    <> broke off from drinking a cup of
    tea at to write:

    >I tried to upload the .htaccess file to the root directory of my webspace,
    >but the file just disappeared. I suppose that means my host doesn't
    >support it?

    Any file with a name commencing '.' is hidden under Unix. Try

    ls -a .htaccess

    And you'll soon know if it's there!

    Matt

    --
    Free searchable encyclopaedia content for your web site:
    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/xsearch.htm

    Matt Probert, Oct 21, 2004
  7. hamburger

    Toby Inkster Guest

    hamburger wrote:

    > I basically just want to ban a handful of specific users from the site,
    > and since the website is only relevant to residents of my own country, I
    > figure I might as well just ban the entire countries of the users.

    Why not just ban by C-class network?
    e.g. if their IP is 1.2.3.4, block all of 1.2.3.x

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 21, 2004
  8. hamburger

    brucie Guest

    In alt.www.webmaster,alt.html hamburger said:

    > is there any way for me to ban certain domains or countries from
    > accessing the site?

    no, they could just say there were from somewhere else.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 21, 2004
  9. hamburger

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <4177c611$0$19059$>, hamburger
    says...

    > I don't run the server my website is on; I only have webspace on it. The
    > server is pretty basic and doesn't allow CGI or anything like that.
    > Nevertheless, is there any way for me to ban certain domains or
    > countries from accessing the site? It has its own domain name in case
    > that makes any difference.

    Is there a speedy way for a script to automatically identify which
    country an IP address is from ?
    --

    Alfred Molon

    http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
    Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Prague,
    Budapest and Portugal

    Alfred Molon, Oct 21, 2004
  10. William Tasso, Oct 21, 2004
  11. hamburger

    <> wrote:

    >since the website is only relevant to residents of my own country, I
    >figure I might as well just ban the entire countries of the users.

    How are you going to decide who is, or is not, a resident of your country?

    Will you be checking their passports as they visit your site?

    Seriously, though, this is a very bad idea as you will very likely exclude many
    of your intended audience. The Internet is global and your pages should be
    visible globally, without exception...

    regards
    Marcus

    , Oct 21, 2004
  12. hamburger

    Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:05:09 +0200, Alfred Molon <>
    wrote:

    >Is there a speedy way for a script to automatically identify which
    >country an IP address is from ?

    No - and the automated attempts that Google, for example, tries to make are
    invariably not well done...

    regards
    Marcus

    , Oct 22, 2004
  13. hamburger

    lostinspace Guest

    > I don't run the server my website is on; I only have webspace on it. The
    > server is pretty basic and doesn't allow CGI or anything like that.
    > Nevertheless, is there any way for me to ban certain domains or countries
    > from accessing the site? It has its own domain name in case that makes any
    > difference.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > ~hamburger

    Verio is kind enough to provide some examples ;-)
    http://www.verio.com/support/view_article.cfm?doc_id=3624

    If that's not enough?

    lostinspace, Oct 22, 2004
  14. hamburger

    Starwolf Guest

    "Charles Sweeney" <> wrote in message
    > hamburger wrote:
    >
    >> Charles Sweeney wrote:

    >>> Can't be done. A user could use a proxy.
    >>>
    >>> Why would you want to ban countries?
    >>>

    >> These users wouldn't bother. Nor would they know how to, most likely.
    >> I basically just want to ban a handful of specific users from the
    >> site, and since the website is only relevant to residents of my own
    >> country, I figure I might as well just ban the entire countries of the
    >> users. I tried to upload the .htaccess file to the root directory of
    >> my webspace, but the file just disappeared. I suppose that means my
    >> host doesn't support it?

    > Although your service is not aimed at people outside your country, what's
    > the harm in them seeing your site? Why bother "banning" them, seems a bit
    > extreme to me, and much more bother than it's worth?

    Good point. While there are excellent reasons to block countries and even
    particular companies from mail servers, the hassle of doing it under the
    OP's circumstances vs the bandwidth saved does not seem to have much of an
    ROI. Having a handy way to block from a particular referrer however, is
    always good thing.

    Starwolf, Oct 22, 2004
  15. hamburger

    hamburger Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > hamburger wrote:
    >

    >>I basically just want to ban a handful of specific users from the site,
    >>and since the website is only relevant to residents of my own country, I
    >>figure I might as well just ban the entire countries of the users.

    > Why not just ban by C-class network?
    > e.g. if their IP is 1.2.3.4, block all of 1.2.3.x

    Because then they could just use someone else's computer. It'd be much
    better if I could ban by country. But I guess if there's no way to do
    this then I'll just have to settle for that. Thanks for the replies
    everyone.

    ~hamburger

    hamburger, Oct 22, 2004
  16. hamburger wrote:

    > Because then they could just use someone else's computer. It'd be much
    > better if I could ban by country.

    So what's the big deal about people not from your country (wherever that
    may be) viewing your site?

    You can't hide anything online.

    Why not save yourself all the hassle, and make it clear on your site that
    your service is only aimed at (whatever country)?

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

    Charles Sweeney, Oct 22, 2004
  17. hamburger

    hamburger Guest

    Charles Sweeney wrote:
    > hamburger wrote:
    >

    >>Because then they could just use someone else's computer. It'd be much
    >>better if I could ban by country.

    > So what's the big deal about people not from your country (wherever that
    > may be) viewing your site?
    >
    > You can't hide anything online.
    >
    > Why not save yourself all the hassle, and make it clear on your site that
    > your service is only aimed at (whatever country)?

    I've got nothing against people from other countries visiting the site.
    As I explained earlier, I only want to ban a handful of specific users.
    Since there is absolutely no reason for people outside of my country to
    visit the site, I figured it'd be most effective to just ban them all.

    ~hamburger

    hamburger, Oct 22, 2004
  18. hamburger wrote:

    > I've got nothing against people from other countries visiting the
    > site. As I explained earlier, I only want to ban a handful of specific
    > users. Since there is absolutely no reason for people outside of my
    > country to visit the site, I figured it'd be most effective to just
    > ban them all.

    Right, got you. Banning a handful of users is a waste of time too. How
    can you stop them using a proxy, internet cafe, friend's PC, computer in
    work, college, local library etc, etc, etc?

    Is it a forum you're doing?

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

    Charles Sweeney, Oct 22, 2004
  19. hamburger

    hamburger Guest

    Charles Sweeney wrote:
    > hamburger wrote:
    >

    >>I've got nothing against people from other countries visiting the
    >>site. As I explained earlier, I only want to ban a handful of specific
    >>users. Since there is absolutely no reason for people outside of my
    >>country to visit the site, I figured it'd be most effective to just
    >>ban them all.

    > Right, got you. Banning a handful of users is a waste of time too. How
    > can you stop them using a proxy, internet cafe, friend's PC, computer in
    > work, college, local library etc, etc, etc?

    Which is precisely why I'd prefer to ban the entire countries the users
    come from.

    > Is it a forum you're doing?

    No, just a website. Anyway, I've now banned their IP ranges so hopefully
    they won't be smart enough to use a proxy server. I seriously doubt
    they'd bother.

    ~hamburger

    hamburger, Oct 22, 2004
  20. hamburger wrote:

    > No, just a website. Anyway, I've now banned their IP ranges so
    > hopefully they won't be smart enough to use a proxy server. I
    > seriously doubt they'd bother.

    Good luck.

    --
    Charles Sweeney