  1. I haven't seen any links to this here: Barbara Liskov has won the Turing
    Award:

    http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2009/turing-liskov-0310.html/?

    Steven D'Aprano, Jun 25, 2009

  2. Steven D'Aprano

    Chris Rebert Guest

    Chris Rebert, Jun 25, 2009

  3. Steven D'Aprano

    Terry Reedy Guest

    Chris Rebert wrote:
    > On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Steven
    > D'Aprano<> wrote:
    >> I haven't seen any links to this here: Barbara Liskov has won the Turing
    >> Award:

    It was posted about the time of the announcement, but is worth the reminded.

    Terry Reedy, Jun 25, 2009
  4. > Python's object model, assignment semantics, and call-by-object
    > mechanism, and that name, come from CLU. Whether Guido knew of it
    > directly or not, I do not know. To the extent that the above is part of
    > the heart of Python, I think Steven's statement stands pretty well.

    Why do you say that? ISTM that Python is much closer to Smalltalk than
    to CLU in its object model. CLU is statically typed (and it is important
    to its notion of program correctness that it is statically typed);
    Smalltalk and Python aren't. In addition, Smalltalk and Python have
    inheritance; CLU (deliberately) doesn't. Liskov reported that she didn't
    know about Smalltalk until 1976.

    I believe that Python's, CLU's, and Smalltalk's assignment semantics
    actually all come from Simula. I would claim the same for the
    call-by-object mechanism - except that this is probably best described
    as coming from LISP (in the sense of caller and callee sharing