    (i.e. might need somehow to print to a barcode printer!)

    Any ideas where to start?

    Thanks in advance.
    Murray Elliot, Feb 13, 2005

  2. Murray Elliot

    Jim Ley Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:40:32 GMT, Murray Elliot
    <> wrote:

    >Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to solve a particular
    >problem. A client wants to print barcode labels from their (web/php
    >based application). The barcode labels are very small, so I'm guessing
    >that doing a screendump via a standard inkjet isn't going to work
    >(i.e. might need somehow to print to a barcode printer!)

    I know of (but can't remember details right now) an SVG solution that
    does this, creating barcodes in SVG is really easy, and they just
    print. Generating them client-side with javascript is also easy - so
    all you need is an SVG viewer installed, for the described situation,
    that should be no worries.

    Cheers,

    Jim.
    Jim Ley, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Murray Elliot

    Mighty Krell Guest

    If the printer has a standard Windows driver, that aspect of your project is
    not a problem. I recently did a contract project that use a special printer
    to print mailing addresses onto sticky labels that come one after another on
    a roll. To do this I used CSS to create a web page that was correctly sized
    for the labels. The little printer jacked into a USB port and handled page
    feeds (i.e. rolling to the next label) automatically. It was easy.

    I have never used barcodes, but I am aware of two potential solution paths
    for you. One is to use a barcode font (they exist for Windows). The other
    is to use an application that creates barcodes for you as images (gif, jpg,
    whatever) and then you print the images. There are Perl modules that do
    that sort of thing.

    MK

    Mighty Krell, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Murray Elliot spilled the following:

    > Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to solve a particular
    > problem. A client wants to print barcode labels from their (web/php
    > based application). The barcode labels are very small, so I'm guessing
    > that doing a screendump via a standard inkjet isn't going to work
    > (i.e. might need somehow to print to a barcode printer!)
    >
    > Any ideas where to start?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Generate a PDF serverside? AIR there is a Gnu barcode thingy that speaks
    [e]ps and PDF....and there are a couple of good PHP tools for working with
    PDFs

    HTH

    C.
    Colin McKinnon, Feb 13, 2005
  5. Thanks guys.
    I'm pretty confident in terms of generating barcodes either as PDF or
    images or using Fonts (I prefer the second option), but main worry was
    based around the practical issue of how to ensure the page output
    aligns with the labels such that when printing (say) 200 labels, I
    don't end up with problems whereby the output doesn't align properly.

    A specific printer which could handle page feeds sounds like an
    interesting (and perhaps) necessary way to go in this respect... would
    you be able to post more details, or email me?

    Many thanks.
    -------
    name: murrayelliot
    domain: blueyonder co uk

    Murray Elliot, Feb 14, 2005
  6. Murray Elliot

    Mighty Krell Guest

    My client used a printer called a "Dymo - LabelWriter 330". I have never
    seen or used it. I used the Print Preview feature of IE to ensure that my
    HTML and CSS were valid. The client confirmed it using his printer.

    Mighty Krell, Feb 14, 2005
  7. Murray Elliot

    Joakim Braun Guest

    "Murray Elliot" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to solve a particular
    > problem. A client wants to print barcode labels from their (web/php
    > based application). The barcode labels are very small, so I'm guessing
    > that doing a screendump via a standard inkjet isn't going to work
    > (i.e. might need somehow to print to a barcode printer!)
    >
    > Any ideas where to start?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    From the rest of this thread I see that there are alignment and other
    issues. But you can dynamically generate (non-vector) pictures, using line
    calls, at arbitrary resolutions with the php image functions. Section XLI of
    the PHP manual may be a useful read.

    --
    Joakim Braun
    Joakim Braun, Feb 15, 2005