Barcode printing in a production environment

Murray Elliot

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to solve a particular
problem. A client wants to print barcode labels from their (web/php
based application). The barcode labels are very small, so I'm guessing
that doing a screendump via a standard inkjet isn't going to work
(i.e. might need somehow to print to a barcode printer!)

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Ley

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to solve a particular
problem. A client wants to print barcode labels from their (web/php
based application). The barcode labels are very small, so I'm guessing
that doing a screendump via a standard inkjet isn't going to work
(i.e. might need somehow to print to a barcode printer!)

I know of (but can't remember details right now) an SVG solution that
does this, creating barcodes in SVG is really easy, and they just
print. Generating them client-side with javascript is also easy - so
all you need is an SVG viewer installed, for the described situation,
that should be no worries.

Cheers,

Jim.

Mighty Krell

If the printer has a standard Windows driver, that aspect of your project is
not a problem. I recently did a contract project that use a special printer
to print mailing addresses onto sticky labels that come one after another on
a roll. To do this I used CSS to create a web page that was correctly sized
for the labels. The little printer jacked into a USB port and handled page
feeds (i.e. rolling to the next label) automatically. It was easy.

I have never used barcodes, but I am aware of two potential solution paths
for you. One is to use a barcode font (they exist for Windows). The other
is to use an application that creates barcodes for you as images (gif, jpg,
whatever) and then you print the images. There are Perl modules that do
that sort of thing.

MK

Colin McKinnon

Murray Elliot spilled the following:
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to solve a particular
problem. A client wants to print barcode labels from their (web/php
based application). The barcode labels are very small, so I'm guessing
that doing a screendump via a standard inkjet isn't going to work
(i.e. might need somehow to print to a barcode printer!)

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Generate a PDF serverside? AIR there is a Gnu barcode thingy that speaks
[e]ps and PDF....and there are a couple of good PHP tools for working with
PDFs

HTH

C.

Murray Elliot

Thanks guys.
I'm pretty confident in terms of generating barcodes either as PDF or
images or using Fonts (I prefer the second option), but main worry was
based around the practical issue of how to ensure the page output
aligns with the labels such that when printing (say) 200 labels, I
don't end up with problems whereby the output doesn't align properly.

A specific printer which could handle page feeds sounds like an
interesting (and perhaps) necessary way to go in this respect... would
you be able to post more details, or email me?

Many thanks.

Mighty Krell

My client used a printer called a "Dymo - LabelWriter 330". I have never
seen or used it. I used the Print Preview feature of IE to ensure that my
HTML and CSS were valid. The client confirmed it using his printer.

MK

Joakim Braun

Murray Elliot said:
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to solve a particular
problem. A client wants to print barcode labels from their (web/php
based application). The barcode labels are very small, so I'm guessing
that doing a screendump via a standard inkjet isn't going to work
(i.e. might need somehow to print to a barcode printer!)

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks in advance.

From the rest of this thread I see that there are alignment and other
issues. But you can dynamically generate (non-vector) pictures, using line
calls, at arbitrary resolutions with the php image functions. Section XLI of
the PHP manual may be a useful read.