    processing alghoritms (preprocessing image filters, etc.) and code
    information about reliability of diffrent code standards.
    , Jan 9, 2008

  2. On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, wrote:

    > I want to create a system to automatically scan and bind document
    > pages basing on a printed linear barcode.

    Don't know much about it, and it is not clear to me why this should be
    java related, but I'd assume it would be simpler to buy a barcode
    reader, connect it to a (serial) port, and programmatically access it.

    We once had to deal with barcode recognition of spectroscopic masks to
    be mounted on an instrument on the VLT (Very Large Telescope). The
    barcodes were cut in invar foils by a laser cutting machine (but I used
    to produce paper mockups in Postscript). We bought a few commercial
    barcode readers from Datalogic.

    These devices had to be attached to the serial port of a PC (at the
    time). A maintenance program came with the readers, which had to be used
    only once to configure their EEPROMs. In particular the readers
    supported a wide range of commercial barcode standards (we selected the
    2/5 interleaved).

    After that we could just trigger a read from the serial port and obtain
    in return a 6-digit numeric code. The basic communication protocol was
    clearly explained in the docs, and we just wrapped it into an higher
    level protocol to read exactly 6 digits and handle wait. At the time we
    did that programmatically within a Visual Basic program, but any
    language should do.

    is a newsreading account used by more persons to
    LC's NoSpam Newsreading account, Jan 10, 2008

  3. Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 06:45:28 -0800 (PST),

    >Hello,
    >
    >I want to create a system to automatically scan and bind document
    >pages basing on a printed linear barcode.
    >I'm searching a good, tested library to recognize codes on an image.
    >I'll be very grateful for any information about reliable libraries,
    >processing alghoritms (preprocessing image filters, etc.) and code
    >information about reliability of diffrent code standards.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/barcodes.html

    There are a number of libraries mentioned. I think most are for
    printing, but it might get you started.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Jan 10, 2008
  4. jk Guest

    On 10 Sty, 10:21, LC's NoSpam Newsreading account
    <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, wrote:
    > > I want to create a system to automatically scan and bind document
    > > pages basing on a printed linear barcode.

    > Don't know much about it, and it is not clear to me why this should be
    > java related, but I'd assume it would be simpler to buy a barcode
    > reader, connect it to a (serial) port, and programmatically access it.

    We want to preserve scanned documents and we'd like to scan them and
    bind in a single step. That's why we want to replace our barcode
    readers with software.
    jk, Jan 10, 2008

    On 10 Sty, 15:10, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/barcodes.html
    >
    > There are a number of libraries mentioned. I think most are for
    > printing, but it might get you started.

    I am currently testing some of them. As for now Tasman seems to be the
    fastest and most reliable but it costs quite a lot.
    I wonder how some image preprocessing, scalling or cliping may improve
    the process.

    > --
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com