    fullscreen signalcolor. Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance,
    pieter.

    Pieter Jongsma, Sep 20, 2007

  2. On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 09:42:11PM +0900, Pieter Jongsma wrote:
    > I need to program an application for my school. It needs to scan a
    > barcode on a pass, compare it to a database and then display a color
    > (fullscreen) signalling if the student is or isn't allowed at a party.
    >
    > Now I'm looking for a toolkit of some sort to wait for a signal from the
    > barcode scanner (which works just like a keyboard) and then display a
    > fullscreen signalcolor. Any ideas?

    I'm a dork, so I'd probably use GLUT/OpenGL. It's overkill, but it's damned
    easy to get a fullscreen color and to accept keyboard input.

    > Thanks in advance,
    > pieter.

    --Greg

    Gregory Seidman, Sep 20, 2007

  3. > I need to program an application for my school. It needs to scan a
    > barcode on a pass, compare it to a database and then display a color
    > (fullscreen) signalling if the student is or isn't allowed at a party.

    > Now I'm looking for a toolkit of some sort to wait for a signal from the
    > barcode scanner (which works just like a keyboard) and then display a
    > fullscreen signalcolor. Any ideas?

    If it works just like a keyboard, you should be able to get the input
    with gets(). If your scanner dies or something happens, you then have
    a fallback mechanism as well.

    Depending on how fancy the display solution should be, you could
    display yes/no in colored ascii (easiest solution), write some html
    that's loaded in a browser that keeps refreshing, or use a GUI toolkit
    (tcl/tk, gtk, qt, etc.) to display the result. If you use a GUI, you'd
    probably want to replace the gets() call with a text field that has an
    on_change() or equivalent trigger.

    Sounds like a fun project, good luck!

    Wes

    Wes Narnach Oldenbeuving, Sep 20, 2007
  4. On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Pieter Jongsma wrote:

    > Now I'm looking for a toolkit of some sort to wait for a signal from the
    > barcode scanner (which works just like a keyboard) and then display a
    > fullscreen signalcolor. Any ideas?

    I suggest you take a look at the ncurses library.

    -- Matt
    It's not what I know that counts.

    Matt Lawrence, Sep 20, 2007
  5. Pieter Jongsma wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to program an application for my school. It needs to scan a
    > barcode on a pass, compare it to a database and then display a color
    > (fullscreen) signalling if the student is or isn't allowed at a party.
    >
    > Now I'm looking for a toolkit of some sort to wait for a signal from the
    > barcode scanner (which works just like a keyboard) and then display a
    > fullscreen signalcolor. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > pieter.

    if it acts like keyboard, try ruby/SDL it's simplest solution to get
    graphics in application.

    Marcin Raczkowski, Sep 20, 2007
  6. Pieter Jongsma

    John Joyce Guest

    On Sep 20, 2007, at 1:40 PM, Marcin Raczkowski wrote:

    > Pieter Jongsma wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I need to program an application for my school. It needs to scan a
    >> barcode on a pass, compare it to a database and then display a color
    >> (fullscreen) signalling if the student is or isn't allowed at a
    >> party.
    >> Now I'm looking for a toolkit of some sort to wait for a signal
    >> from the
    >> barcode scanner (which works just like a keyboard) and then display a
    >> fullscreen signalcolor. Any ideas?
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> pieter.

    > if it acts like keyboard, try ruby/SDL it's simplest solution to
    > get graphics in application.

    You could use Gosu easily, the game library for the graphics, very
    very easy. Some kb/gamepad input is already defined, but you could
    easily 'include' anything needed for the scanner.
    Thing to note, game libraries are not just useful for games! They
    make simple GUIs easy to build!
    If the scanner has a driver with API you should be able to pass its
    info to any app as you please.

    Another alternative would be to do something like a local machine
    Rails app. There's easy database integration and a web-browser based
    GUI.

    John Joyce, Sep 21, 2007
  7. John Joyce wrote:
    > Another alternative would be to do something like a local machine
    > Rails app. There's easy database integration and a web-browser based
    > GUI.

    I have been thinking about that. But the program needs to be portable,
    by which I mean it needs to run on any computer without having to
    install things like rails.
    I also have a server at my disposal, on which I could run it, but that
    server is really slow...

    I was actually wondering if there was anything like PyGame for ruby, and
    I guess 'Gosu' is it.

    Thanks for the tip!

    Pieter Jongsma, Sep 21, 2007