Barcodes

lalalala

Hi I'm trying to integrate barcodes into my company inventory system, i
wanted to know if it would be possible to take an excel sheet and read
a bunch of barcode numbers and transcribe them into a barcode in the
next colomn, or even if possible how i could within java find a
function that will make barcodes for me
Thank you
Any help is greatly appreciated

Oliver Wong

lalalala said:
Hi I'm trying to integrate barcodes into my company inventory system, i
wanted to know if it would be possible to take an excel sheet and read
a bunch of barcode numbers and transcribe them into a barcode in the
next colomn, or even if possible how i could within java find a
function that will make barcodes for me

There's more than one barcode encoding system (at least 22 according to
Wikipedia). The first step would be to decide which encoding system you want
to use. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode

- Oliver

Roedy Green

Hi I'm trying to integrate barcodes into my company inventory system, i
wanted to know if it would be possible to take an excel sheet and read
a bunch of barcode numbers and transcribe them into a barcode in the
next colomn, or even if possible how i could within java find a
function that will make barcodes for me

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/barcodes.html

lalalala

well my company will be using the Canadian standard 12-13 digit
barcodes. Am i to understand that there are different barcode types and
they are translated differentely? i thought that there was a uniform
bar code that would be read by a barcode reader and translated into the
appropriate numbers just like a keyboard

Oliver Wong

lalalala said:
well my company will be using the Canadian standard 12-13 digit
barcodes. Am i to understand that there are different barcode types and
they are translated differentely? i thought that there was a uniform
bar code that would be read by a barcode reader and translated into the
appropriate numbers just like a keyboard

If you read the wikipedia article I linked to, you'll know the answer to
your question.

If I was forced to guess, I'd say you'll probably be using UPC or EAN.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Product_Code

If you refuse to read articles, you'll have a hard time implementing a
bar code reader.

- Oliver

lalalala

So am i to understand that the barcode reader will return a String
based on what driver is in place to read it. I though that the barcode
reader read the barcode appropriately and delivered a string just like
a keyboard could type

Oliver Wong

lalalala said:
So am i to understand that the barcode reader will return a String
based on what driver is in place to read it. I though that the barcode
reader read the barcode appropriately and delivered a string just like
a keyboard could type

This depends on the device you buy. Some of them might not have any Java
support at all, and you'd have to mess around with JNI.

- Oliver