Barnes & Noble Removing All Microsoft Related Magazines From Shelves

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by clintonG, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. clintonG

    clintonG Guest

    The Barnes & Noble stores in and around Milwaukee, Wisconsin have removed or
    are removing all of the Microsoft platform programming and support magazines
    from their shelves. Not one single magazine related to any Microsoft
    operating system, any programming language and framework or any application
    remains on the shelves.

    All of the Linux and Mac magazines remain of course.

    Store clerks say "the buyer" made the decision and offered no other
    explanation.

    I'm sending a nasty note to Barnes & Noble [1]

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

    [1] http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

    clintonG, Feb 27, 2006

  2. They have them, nationally, online :

    http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/br...=914299&visgrp=nonfiction&endecaid=1000005054

    Are you sure this is not a misunderstanding ?

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 27, 2006

  3. clintonG

    clintonG Guest

    How can I stand in front of a magazine rack and misunderstand what I am NOT
    seeing? I spend a lot of money in those stores buying books and magazines. I
    even talked to two different clerks about it who told me the buyers decided
    to remove the magazines.

    The Brookfield, Wisconsin store has removed ALL magazines relating to
    Microsoft technologies. The other Barnes & Noble store I also go into at
    Mayfair in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin has lso cut back big time -- Microsoft
    genre -- or has also removed ALL Microsoft magazines as well. I have to
    check to see if the Mayfair store has taken the final plunge and removed ALL
    magazines related to the Microsoft genre. According to the clerk in the
    Brookfield store th stores in the region are removing ALL the magazines

    clintonG, Feb 27, 2006
  4. re:
    > How can I stand in front of a magazine rack and misunderstand what I am NOT seeing?

    Just asking, Clinton.

    ;-)

    re:
    > According to the clerk in the Brookfield store th stores in the region are removing ALL the
    > magazines related to the Microsoft genre.

    That's a BIG mistake.

    I wonder how that will affect Barnes and Noble's Wisconsin sales.

    I bet that sales percentage for Microsoft-related technology books
    far outweighs the combined sales of other computing technology-related books.

    With a market penetration of around 90%, the move to ban MS books
    seems foolhardy, at least in relation to inventory movement.

    People will still, even if B & N removes the books, need them.
    They'll just buy them somewhere else.

    The B & N clients will let them know, no doubt.

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 27, 2006
  5. clintonG

    Brian Guest

    "clintonG" <> wrote in message
    > How can I stand in front of a magazine rack and misunderstand what I am
    > NOT seeing? I spend a lot of money in those stores buying books and
    > magazines. I even talked to two different clerks about it who told me the
    > buyers decided to remove the magazines.

    Resellers have a long history of bickering with their suppliers. See Apple
    (Jobs expects his babies to be displayed JUST so. He's gotten better I
    hear.) or IBM (X,Y,Z, with fixed pricing or you aren't an authorized
    seller).

    Sounds like a local pissing match to me. Maybe the rep saw some "coverless"
    books at the $5 bookstore and is teaching B&N a lesson.

    Brian, Feb 27, 2006
  6. clintonG

    Bruce Barker Guest

    mag rack space is limited. if sales are low a mag is dropped (especially if
    there is not a good return policy for unsold goods, or the mag is not paying
    for shelfspace).

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Feb 27, 2006
  7. clintonG

    darrel Guest

    > How can I stand in front of a magazine rack and misunderstand what I am
    > NOT seeing? I spend a lot of money in those stores buying books and
    > magazines. I even talked to two different clerks about it who told me the
    > buyers decided to remove the magazines.

    If things don't sell, they don't stock them.

    Guess you were one of the few visiting those particular stores looking for
    those particular magazines.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Feb 27, 2006
  8. clintonG

    clintonG Guest

    No kidding? ;-)

    <%= Clinton Gallagher

    clintonG, Feb 27, 2006
  9. clintonG

    clintonG Guest

    I started wondering along the same lines. Whacking a title is consistent
    with the "if its not selling" rationale but an entire category across the
    board while leaving Linux and Mac alone? Something is up.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher

    clintonG, Feb 27, 2006
  10. clintonG

    dm1608 Guest

    Why don't you just subscribe to the magazine? You're paying way too much
    $$$ by buying directly off the newstand. If you want to puruse a magazine,
    many allow you to receive a first issue free and "CANCEL" when the bill
    comes.

    I have about 12 computer related magazine subscriptions... 4-5 from UK and I
    seldom buy anything from newstand.

    dm1608, Mar 1, 2006