BARRIER - ruby gem - code converter not found (UTF-16LE to IBM737)

Ilias Lazaridis

After visiting ruby-lang.org, I decided to get the actual 1.9.2
version via

http://rubyinstaller.org/

After installation, I tried to install a "gem" with

$> gem install <some gem>

The result:

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Encoding::ConverterNotFoundError)
code converter not found (UTF-16LE to IBM737)

Very frustrating "first contact".

Ruby seems to work fine, only when using "gem" the error occurs.

A workaround:

$> chcp 850
$> gem install <some gem>
$> chcp 737

I've queried for a solutions, but didn't found something concrete,
although this defect seems to be know for half a year.

Is this an issue with ruby, with "gem" or with the rubyinstaller?

..

Peter Hickman

Very frustrating "first contact".

Ilias. This is not your "first contact" with Ruby. You have been
trolling for a long time. Here's a post of yours from 2006,
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/50468 , that was FIVE years ago and it
mentions your site lazaridis.com. This is no "first contact", why
can't you be honest?

You have been trolling for so long that your name is a meme in several
language news groups and old timers like myself can pick it out at 100
meters.

Here are a couple of searches so you can refresh your memory

1) http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ilias+Lazaridis+troll
2) http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ilias+Lazaridis+kook

To those who don't know Ilias he will start off with what seems a
trivial or obscure topic (such as getting a gem to install) and then
derail his own thread as he wonders off into lala land. The reason I
pounced on this was because the phrase "first contact" is Ilias
pretending to be a novice. He is no novice and has had contact with
Ruby for longer than some people on this list.

Learn this name and save yourself lots of time.

Ilias Lazaridis

Very frustrating "first contact".
[...]
This is no "first contact", why can't you be honest?
[...]

Mr. Hickman.

I ask you friendly to refrain from further off-topic comments and to
take care of your wording.

I do not hide that I had contact with ruby 5 years ago:

http://dev.lazaridis.com/case/wiki/RubyAudit
http://dev.lazaridis.com/case/wiki/CoreLiveEval

That does not change, that my new "first contact" with ruby 1.9 was
frustrating for me (as I didn't expected such an early stage defect).

Additionally, the "first contact" refers to newcomers in general,
which will be most possibly frustrating for most people which use a
different codepage.

I hope that the rest of this community will have the professionalism
to stay in topic, and will focus on the technical discussion, which
affects an existent defect and an entry barrier to ruby 1.9.2.

Has anyone a permanent solution or more information about this issue?

..

James Gray

2011/5/16 Ilias Lazaridis said:
I ask you friendly to refrain from further off-topic comments and to
take care of your wording.

All:

The above is a perfect example of why you never talk to Ilias. You cannot
win. He doesn't want help. He's one of the most epic trolls on the
Internet. Please Google his name before you even think of replying.

The only way to win is not to play.

James Edward Gray II

Ilias Lazaridis

[...] - (off topic comments)

To readers:

As a reminder, the main topic is this defect:

"
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Encoding::ConverterNotFoundError)
code converter not found (UTF-16LE to IBM737)

Is this an issue with ruby, with "gem" or with the rubyinstaller?
"

other people have asked over half a year ago, thus this should be a
know issue:

The issue is an Entry Barrier to Rails, in this case:

Encoding error while installing rails on ruby 1.9.2
http://groups.google.com/group/comp...b16f798b83/b88c5b188c36cd0d?#b88c5b188c36cd0d

Any hint is welcome.

..

Luis Lavena

[...] - (off topic comments)

To readers:

As a reminder, the main topic is this defect:

"
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Encoding::ConverterNotFoundError)
    code converter not found (UTF-16LE to IBM737)

Is this an issue with ruby, with "gem" or with the rubyinstaller?
"

other people have asked over half a year ago, thus this should be a
know issue:

The issue is an Entry Barrier to Rails, in this case:

Encoding error while installing rails on ruby 1.9.2http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/08...

Any hint is welcome.

The hints are in the thread you referred to, the reason is there and
in my previous answer.

Phillip Gawlowski

Learn this name and save yourself lots of time.

In the spirit of passing knowledge on, a kind soul linked to
<http://www.tfeb.org/lisp/mad-people.html> the last time Ilias
appeared, so I'll repeat the kindness (Google FTW).

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget
When I've moved on to some other place,
There may be one or two,
When I've played and passed through,
Who'll remember my song or my face.

Ryan Davis

All:

The above is a perfect example of why you never talk to Ilias. You cannot
win. He doesn't want help. He's one of the most epic trolls on the
Internet. Please Google his name before you even think of replying.

The only way to win is not to play.

Dear Peter and James,

I __love__ both of you so very much right now.

Hugs,

Ryan

Ilias Lazaridis

After visiting ruby-lang.org, I decided to get the actual 1.9.2
version via

http://rubyinstaller.org/

After installation, I tried to install a "gem" with

$> gem install <some gem>

The result:

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Encoding::ConverterNotFoundError)
    code converter not found (UTF-16LE to IBM737)

Very frustrating "first contact".

Ruby seems to work fine, only when using "gem" the error occurs.

A workaround:

$> chcp 850
$> gem install <some gem>
$> chcp 737

I've queried for a solutions, but didn't found something concrete,
although this defect seems to be know for half a year.

Is this an issue with ruby, with "gem" or with the rubyinstaller?

The defect is within the subsystem "rubygems".

Filed Issue:

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4738

-

On windows 7 greek.

Installer used:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/74298/rubyinstaller-1.9.2-p180.exe

P:\>cmd
Microsoft Windows [¸êäïóç 6.1.7600]
ÐíåõìáôéêÜ äéêáéþìáôá (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Ìå åðéöýëáîç
êÜèå íüìéìïõ äéêáéþìáôïò.

P:\>ruby -v
ruby 1.9.2p180 (2011-02-18) [i386-mingw32]

P:\>gem -v
1.5.2

P:\>gem install json_pure
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Encoding::ConverterNotFoundError)
code converter not found (UTF-16LE to IBM737)

P:\>gem install json_pure --debug -V
Exception `NameError' at P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/
rubygems/command_manager.rb:163 - uninitialized constant
Gem::Commands::InstallCommand
Exception `Encoding::ConverterNotFoundError' at P:/prg/ruby192/lib/
ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/dependency_installer.rb:195 - code
converter not found (UTF-16LE to IBM737)
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Encoding::ConverterNotFoundError)
code converter not found (UTF-16LE to IBM737)
P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/
dependency_installer.rb:195:in `[]'
P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/
dependency_installer.rb:195:in `find_spec_by_name_and_version'
P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/
dependency_installer.rb:244:in `install'
P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/commands/
install_command.rb:120:in `block in execute'
P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/commands/
install_command.rb:115:in `each'
P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/commands/
install_command.rb:115:in `execute'
P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/command.rb:
278:in `invoke'
P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/
command_manager.rb:133:in `process_args'
P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/
command_manager.rb:103:in `run'
P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:
63:in `run'
P:/prg/ruby192/bin/gem:21:in `'

..