Bartok card game

Discussion in 'Python' started by Sam, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Hey all,

    I want to create a computerised version of this game, though I'm not
    really sure how to go about it. For those who don't know how the game
    works, here's my attempt at a brief description:

    It is very similar to the card game Uno, though played with a standard
    deck of cards. An initial card is played off the top of the deck, and
    then each player has to play a card of the same suit, or the same face
    value in another suit. Whoever gets rid of all their cards first is the
    winner.

    The tricky bit is, the winner of a round gets to make up a new rule.
    Some examples might be "when a club is played, skip the next player", or
    "when a heart is played, the next player draws 2 cards", etc. So, I am
    looking for a way to dynamically add rules to the game, without limiting
    the possibilities too harshly. I could always just give a select few
    rules to choose from, but then the game loses it's fun ;)

    I've been thinking about it for a while, but no obvious path to take has
    presented itself to me. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Sam.
    Sam, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Sam

    Ben Finney Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:30:28 +1100, Sam wrote:
    > The tricky bit is, the winner of a round gets to make up a new rule.
    > Some examples might be "when a club is played, skip the next player",
    > or "when a heart is played, the next player draws 2 cards", etc. So, I
    > am looking for a way to dynamically add rules to the game, without
    > limiting the possibilities too harshly. I could always just give a
    > select few rules to choose from, but then the game loses it's fun ;)

    Surely there are some restrictions on the rules that can be added;
    otherwise, the first person to win a round could add a rule saying "I
    win" and win the game immediately; or a rule saying "The next person to
    play a card must bark like a dog and give me their house keys".

    Can you give a reference to the restrictions on rules that can be added?
    That would allow a better understanding of the problem to be solved.

    --
    \ "Democracy is the art of running the circus from the monkey |
    `\ cage." -- Henry L. Mencken |
    Ben Finney, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Sam

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I want to create a computerised version of this game, though I'm not
    > really sure how to go about it. For those who don't know how the game
    > works, here's my attempt at a brief description:
    >
    > It is very similar to the card game Uno, though played with a standard
    > deck of cards. An initial card is played off the top of the deck, and
    > then each player has to play a card of the same suit, or the same face
    > value in another suit. Whoever gets rid of all their cards first is the
    > winner.
    >
    > The tricky bit is, the winner of a round gets to make up a new rule.
    > Some examples might be "when a club is played, skip the next player", or
    > "when a heart is played, the next player draws 2 cards", etc. So, I am
    > looking for a way to dynamically add rules to the game, without limiting
    > the possibilities too harshly. I could always just give a select few
    > rules to choose from, but then the game loses it's fun ;)

    Have winner separately select condition (from lists of suit and rank) and
    action (from a list). Number of possible rules is product of number of
    possible conditions and actions. Condition in turn is combination of
    'suit' (any, red, black, spade, heart, diamond, club) and 'rank' (any,
    1-13, even, odd, face). Number, again, is a product: 7 * 17= 119 (- 1 for
    any,any) for sample lists above. Multiply by number of actions and you
    have more than 'a select few' possible rules. For even more, allow or-ing
    of two ranks (3 or 7, etc).

    Terry J. Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Sam

    Sam Guest

    > Surely there are some restrictions on the rules that can be added;
    > otherwise, the first person to win a round could add a rule saying "I
    > win" and win the game immediately; or a rule saying "The next person to
    > play a card must bark like a dog and give me their house keys".
    >
    > Can you give a reference to the restrictions on rules that can be added?
    > That would allow a better understanding of the problem to be solved.

    Obviously a rule like "I win" would make the game pointless. The idea is
    to have fun in this game, rather than win money, so people wouldn't
    really be motivated to end the game with a crappy rule like "I win".
    "The next person to play a card must bark like a dog (snip the rest)" is
    a pretty good rule though :p Basically, the best rules are ones that
    will confuse people. If you play out of turn, or ask a question about
    the game (eg "who's turn is it?", "is it my turn?", "What does that card
    mean?" you have to draw a penalty card).

    Basically, anything "reasonable" is a valid rule. "Reasonable" isn't
    something the computer will understand very well though. Other than
    that, you can do whatever you want. Certain rules won't apply to a
    version of the game on computer. For instance, there's no point in
    saying "when the 5 of hearts is played, the next player must do the
    hokey pokey", because unless you're playing with a video conference or
    something no one else will be able to see it. So you can safely
    eliminate rules that involve physical actions (like handing over house
    keys etc).

    I'm not aware of much documentation on Bartok, but as I said, there
    really isn't much of a limit on the rules. That's what makes it
    interesting to play.

    Cheers,
    Sam.
    Sam, Feb 25, 2004