base href > url resolves in DW and not in browser or vv

Laiverd.COM

I have maybe stepped on some dreamweaver problem that is too painfull to be
solved in that newsgroup ;-) , so I thought it might be wise to post it
here, hoping that one of you can show me the way to the light, and point out
where I'm going wrong.

Though I've been creating websites for quite some time now, I have never
used <base href> before. I am now in the situation where I either have to
'invent' some procedure to automatically create absolute paths, or to use
this tag. However whatever I try one of these two problem always shows up:

- either I cannot preview the image in Dreamweaver
- or the browser does not resolve the path properly

This is what I have tried:
Resolves in browser but not in dreamweaver:
<base href="http://localhost/private/ndi/">
src="images/general/logo_ndi.gif"
Browser shows this path:
http://localhost/private/ndi/images/general/logo_ndi.gif

Resolves in Dreamweaver but not in browser
<base href=http://localhost/private/ndi>
src="/images/general/logo_ndi.gif"
Browser shows this path: http://localhost/images/general/logo_ndi.gif

I maybe should note that I have not set a default images folder in the site
definition.

Site definition:
local info > http adress: http://localhost/private/ndi/
testing server > url prefix: http://localhost/private/ndi/

If someone could shed a light on this. I looked up some info but did not
find an answer; I feel this somehow is Dreamweaver related, although I find
that hard to belive.

Thanks.

John