base type of token , normalizedString ?? why ?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Rahul, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Rahul

    Rahul Guest

    I dont' understand why the base type of token as defined in the xml
    schema definition is "normalizedString" instead of "string" .

    <simpleType name="token">
    <restriction base="normalizedString">
    <whiteSpace value = "collapse" />
    </restriction>
    </simpleType>

    <simpleType name="normalizedString">
    <restriction base="string">
    <whiteSpace value = "replace" />
    </restriction>
    </simpleType>

    to me it seems that the definition of 'token' could have been

    <simpleType name="token">
    <restriction base="string">
    <whiteSpace value = "collapse" />
    </restriction>
    </simpleType>

    why was it not defined this way instead ??? what am i missing ??

    Rahul, Aug 5, 2003