Bash script not working as commandline MySQL JDBC

RVic

I'm quite at a loss here.I'm using JDBC to connect to a MySQL database. If I type the command in from the command line (passing it the parameters for db name and user / password) it runs fine:

exec java -classpath .:$CLASSPATH:/home/user/ggrip/upserver/mysql-connector-java-5.1.26-bin.jar:/home/user/ggrip/upserver/GGUser.jar GG.GGServer "127.0.0.1:3306" ggripserver1 ggripv2 root root

However, if I create a bash file of the identical command and execute it, I'm getting:
user@Mint15-32 ~/ggrip/upserver $ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash
user@Mint15-32 ~/ggrip/upserver $ ./ggrip.sh
java.sql.SQLException: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)Error creating connection pool!
java.sql.SQLException: Can't connect with: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver to jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1:3306/ggripv2 root root

I just don't get it?

markspace

I'm quite at a loss here.I'm using JDBC to connect to a MySQL
database. If I type the command in from the command line (passing it
the parameters for db name and user / password) it runs fine:

exec java -classpath
.:$CLASSPATH:/home/user/ggrip/upserver/mysql-connector-java-5.1.26-bin.jar:/home/user/ggrip/upserver/GGUser.jar
GG.GGServer "127.0.0.1:3306" ggripserver1 ggripv2 root root

However, if I create a bash file of the identical command and execute
it, I'm getting: user@Mint15-32 ~/ggrip/upserver $ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash user@Mint15-32 ~/ggrip/upserver $ ./ggrip.sh
java.sql.SQLException: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'
(using password: YES)Error creating connection pool!
java.sql.SQLException: Can't connect with: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver to
jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1:3306/ggripv2 root root

I just don't get it?

My guesses are 1) you have a typo, since you didn't show us the actual
script, or 2) you there's a shell or variable expansion that's tripping
you up.

Look up bash shell debugging, try a few things there, and let us know
when you've found a few things more. Make sure the command is executing
exactly as you expect, not some close but different facsimile.

RVic

The script is the same as the command itself (in fact, when I run the command from the command line, I simply copy it from the text of the script and paste it into the terminal window):

ggrip.sh

Robert Klemme

ggrip.sh -------- exec java -classpath
.:$CLASSPATH:/home/user/ggrip/upserver/mysql-connector-java-5.1.26-bin.jar:/home/user/ggrip/upserver/GGUser.jar
GG.GGServer "127.0.0.1:3306" ggripserver1 ggripv2 root root

I'm not assuming that it's related to the error but you should quote
your classpath properly.

As Mark said: use shell debugging (insert "set -x" at top of script and
also in the interactive shell).

Also, "type java" might give you an idea whether "java" is an alias on
your command prompt.

Cheers

robert

RVic

Gentleman,

Thank each of you for your help. I got it solved by simply putting a semicolon at the end of the lone statement in the script!

Robert Klemme

Gentleman,

Thank each of you for your help. I got it solved by simply putting a
semicolon at the end of the lone statement in the script!

Huh? I don't see how that can be. The semicolon will just terminate
the statement and won't change anything at all about the command line
sent to java. I am more inclined to believe the reason Seven put forward.

Cheers

robert

Mike Amling

Gentleman,

Thank each of you for your help. I got it solved by simply putting a semicolon at the end of the lone statement in the script!

I've seen something very similar when using Cygwin. The editor, vim,
knew it was running on Windows and provided a line ending of CRLF.
Cygwin read the script and treated the CR as part of the last word on
the command line. Putting a semicolon at the end protected the command's
last word from being unintentionally extended.

Mike Amling