Basic CDONTS question

Steve

objNewMail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")

How do I know whether the "Send" command from a CDONTS object actually was
sent?

Is there a status variable that can be checked? Or a log file that can be
written to?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Ray at

BCC yourself.

All that CDONTS does is create a text file that is compliant with SMTP
requirements and drops the file in \inetpub\mailroot\pickup. From there,
it's up to your SMTP service to handle sending it. If the message cannot be
sent, like because of a DNS issue or an invalid from address, for example,
you will see entries in the application log on the server. (I believe it's
app, and not system.)

Ray at work

p.s. Unless you're on an NT server, you should use CDOSYS. CDONTS is old
technology. http://www.aspfaq.com/2026

Steve

Ray,

Thanks for your reply.

I found the message sitting in the pickup directory.

Any idea why it's just sitting there (I know this goes beyond this
newsgroup)?

Thanks again,
Steve

Ray at

Look in the event logs on the server for SMTP events. There should be
something indicating why the message couldn't be sent, either a DNS issue, a
relaying issue, or something else. Either that, or the SMTP service isn't
running.

Ray at work