Basic Design questions

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bryan, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    I'm tring to redesign my site and want to knw what some of the "standards"
    are. I read on a site that said to design for 600 pix wide for a 640 screen,
    is this still the most popular? I've been using 800x600 for so long now I
    don't think that but a few people are still using 640.

    I use FP (03) and it still has shared borders, which would be nice, better
    than frames I believe, but should I just use individual tables/cells or
    layers on every page?

    I haven't done a major web change in over 3 years, anything else "new" I
    should look into adding/subtracting from the site?

    old: www.safetybaby.com
    new: http://www.safetybaby.com/index-new.htm

    note this is a site designed for mothers-to-be, new mothers, and the such,
    that why the "kiddie" look.

    Thanks
    Bryan

    Bryan, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    Forgot, also I know how to add background sound via frontpage, but is there
    a way to add a sound with an "off" button, like I've seen on other site's
    like circuscircus.com?

    Bryan, Aug 15, 2003

  3. Bryan wrote:
    > Forgot, also I know how to add background sound via frontpage,

    that is a good thing to forget

    > but is
    > there a way to add a sound with an "off" button, like I've seen on
    > other site's like circuscircus.com?

    better with an 'on' button and an 'off' button - default to off on
    page-load - IM(NS)HO

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Aug 15, 2003

  4. > > but is
    > > there a way to add a sound with an "off" button, like I've seen on
    > > other site's like circuscircus.com?

    > better with an 'on' button and an 'off' button - default to off on
    > page-load - IM(NS)HO

    All pages with sound already have an 'off' button - top right hand corner of
    window 'X' .. That's the one I always use (take a hint !) :)

    Not in my trousers, Aug 15, 2003
  5. Bryan

    Dan Brussee Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:08:03 +0100, "Not in my trousers"
    <> wrote:

    >> > but is
    >> > there a way to add a sound with an "off" button, like I've seen on
    >> > other site's like circuscircus.com?

    >> better with an 'on' button and an 'off' button - default to off on
    >> page-load - IM(NS)HO
    >>

    >All pages with sound already have an 'off' button - top right hand corner of
    >window 'X' .. That's the one I always use (take a hint !) :)

    Ya know...

    Although I do agree with most of the posters here that sound / glitzy
    animation for no purpose, etc is not my cup of tea, it is my
    experience that this type of thing will draw attention and get people
    to look at sites. Maybe not you or I, but a lot of people are still
    enthralled with sites that make sounds and "move".

    To remove some of these things entirely is just not practical in
    today's advertising-centric culture. Instead of advocating their
    removal, maybe we should stress their better (hopefully less
    intrusive) use. Of course not all sites should have it, but depending
    on the target audience, some could use it to good effect.

    Dan Brussee, Aug 16, 2003