basic DNS configuration question

Ken Fine

I'm trying to get DNS set up properly on my box under Win2kAS. I'm a DNS
newbie, so please go easy. :)

Everything appears to be (mostly) there, with one significant annoying
exception. I've set up "mydomain.net" as a forward lookup zone in the DNS
console.

I've set up admin and www as hosts, so that I have subdomains: people can
visit www.mydomain.net and admin.mydomain.net without a problem.

I have each of these listed in IIS as host headers entries, so that the
webserver correctly differentiates the traffic. This all seems to work fine.
People can go to http://www.mydomain.net/index.html and they're served a
webpage.

So what's broken? Well, if people try http://mydomain.net/index.html, they
get nothing. Deductive guy that I am, I try to create a new host entry with
a blank "name". When I click to "add host" from the dialogue box, the DNS
widget complains "(same as parent folder) is not a valid host name. Are you
sure you want to add this record anyways[sic]?"

It lets me add the record, and an nslookup on "mydomain.net" answers back.
But any attempt to go to http://mydomain.net/ breaks. mydomain.net is listed
in the "host header" section of IIS.

My DNS window for the mydomain.net zone reads as follows

(same as parent folder) Start of authority machine name., machine
name.
(same as parent folder) Name Server machine name.
admin Host [ip number]
www Host [same ip as
above]
(same as parent folder) Host [same ip as above]

Any help out there? I'd be most appreciative.

-KF

Ken Fine

OK, I seem to have learned something new about latency and propogation times
for changes to be spawned. It works now. Thanks for the exercise. :)

-KF

Ryan N.

Please try posting your question to microsoft.public.inetserver.iis. While
most ASP solutions run on IIS the focus of this NG is ASP development et.
al.