    programmer's tool and not a layout or design tool and am just trying to get
    my bearings on this ....

    Thanks ...

    Liz, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Liz

    Mike Lowery Guest

    "Liz" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Are people using the VS 2005 IDE for complete visual design of their web
    > pages ? Does it compare well against other page design tools like
    > Dreamweaver or FrontPage ?
    >
    > I know this kind of elementary but I've always thought of VS as a
    > programmer's tool and not a layout or design tool and am just trying to get
    > my bearings on this ....

    I've found VS to be a poor HTML editor and have used other tools like NVU or
    FrontPage. As you've noted, it's more a programmer's tool than a page design
    tool.

    If you use code-behind in your projects, it will be easier to use other HTML
    editors.

    Mike Lowery, Sep 15, 2006

  3. Liz

    Liz Guest

    "Mike Lowery" <> wrote in message

    > I've found VS to be a poor HTML editor and have used other tools like NVU

    or
    > FrontPage. As you've noted, it's more a programmer's tool than a page

    design
    > tool.
    >
    > If you use code-behind in your projects, it will be easier to use other

    HTML
    > editors.

    ok, sounds right ... but I don't get the workflow; if, for example, you're
    using a DataGridView you want to use the VS designer to insert that, set
    properties, wire it to a data source, etc. (right?) ... but now we have the
    rest of the page to contend with ... if you do it in another editor how do
    you merge all the code together ?

    Liz, Sep 15, 2006
  4. Whoever is doing the UI design work uses an HTML editor to create a full
    "mock-up" of the page, with certain HTML elements that serve as placeholders
    for ASP.Net Controls, in order to get the visual layout right. Then that
    HTML is pasted into an ASPX page, and the developer replaces placeholders
    with Controls.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    Chicken Salad Surgery

    What You Seek Is What You Get.

    Kevin Spencer, Sep 16, 2006
  5. Liz

    Jon Paal Guest

    the workflow question will lead you into the subject areas of using "master pages", "themes", "placeholders" and "loading controls".

    The interaction between designer and developer can be sorted out based upon how site will/won't be implementing above items.
    Significant differences occur when using site "portals" with master pages and themes versus simple single page design.

    There's also nothing to stop a person from doing partial design in VS and more design in another product...

    Jon Paal, Sep 16, 2006