Basic IDE Question

Liz

Are people using the VS 2005 IDE for complete visual design of their web
pages ? Does it compare well against other page design tools like
Dreamweaver or FrontPage ?

I know this kind of elementary but I've always thought of VS as a
programmer's tool and not a layout or design tool and am just trying to get
my bearings on this ....

Thanks ...

Mike Lowery

Liz said:
Are people using the VS 2005 IDE for complete visual design of their web
pages ? Does it compare well against other page design tools like
Dreamweaver or FrontPage ?

I know this kind of elementary but I've always thought of VS as a
programmer's tool and not a layout or design tool and am just trying to get
my bearings on this ....

I've found VS to be a poor HTML editor and have used other tools like NVU or
FrontPage. As you've noted, it's more a programmer's tool than a page design
tool.

If you use code-behind in your projects, it will be easier to use other HTML
editors.

Liz

I've found VS to be a poor HTML editor and have used other tools like NVU or
FrontPage. As you've noted, it's more a programmer's tool than a page design
tool.

If you use code-behind in your projects, it will be easier to use other HTML
editors.

ok, sounds right ... but I don't get the workflow; if, for example, you're
using a DataGridView you want to use the VS designer to insert that, set
properties, wire it to a data source, etc. (right?) ... but now we have the
rest of the page to contend with ... if you do it in another editor how do
you merge all the code together ?

Kevin Spencer

Whoever is doing the UI design work uses an HTML editor to create a full
"mock-up" of the page, with certain HTML elements that serve as placeholders
for ASP.Net Controls, in order to get the visual layout right. Then that
HTML is pasted into an ASPX page, and the developer replaces placeholders
with Controls.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Chicken Salad Surgery

What You Seek Is What You Get.

Jon Paal

the workflow question will lead you into the subject areas of using "master pages", "themes", "placeholders" and "loading controls".

The interaction between designer and developer can be sorted out based upon how site will/won't be implementing above items.
Significant differences occur when using site "portals" with master pages and themes versus simple single page design.

There's also nothing to stop a person from doing partial design in VS and more design in another product...