Basic Java Web Start question

Discussion in 'Java' started by Novice, Dec 14, 2011.

  1. Novice

    Novice Guest

    I am interested in experimenting with Java Web Start a bit but I'm hitting
    a rather formidable obstacle that is keeping me from getting started.

    As I understand it, I need to set up some space on a server and set up a
    JNLP MIME type.

    I don't have such a server and the two hosting services I use for web stuff
    won't add the MIME type for me. (I realize that I could set up a server on
    my PC but if my experiments are successful, I'd like the code delivered by
    Java Web Start to be accessible 24x7. I don't want to leave my own computer
    up that much of every day.)

    Therefore, is there any free place you know of where I could set the JNLP
    MIME type (or have the administrator do it for me) and set up the Java Web
    Start infrastructure?

    I don't plan to go into Java Web Start in a big way with lots of
    applications and/or users but I would be interested in delivering a handful
    of programs to a handful of people this way.

    I can't afford to spend money on this so if there are no free places,
    that's fine, I'll just abandon the idea of Java Web Start until somewhere
    further down the road.

    --
    Novice

    Novice, Dec 14, 2011

  2. Novice

    markspace Guest

    On 12/14/2011 1:16 PM, Novice wrote:
    > I am interested in experimenting with Java Web Start a bit but I'm hitting
    > a rather formidable obstacle that is keeping me from getting started.
    >
    > As I understand it, I need to set up some space on a server and set up a
    > JNLP MIME type.

    For first testing you can just download and install Apache on your own
    PC. Works fine, and it's what I used to play around with JWS some time ago.

    markspace, Dec 14, 2011

  3. Novice

    Novice Guest

    markspace <-@.> wrote in news:jcb4dn$3dj$:

    > On 12/14/2011 1:16 PM, Novice wrote:
    >> I am interested in experimenting with Java Web Start a bit but I'm
    >> hitting a rather formidable obstacle that is keeping me from getting
    >> started.
    >>
    >> As I understand it, I need to set up some space on a server and set
    >> up a JNLP MIME type.
    >>

    > For first testing you can just download and install Apache on your own
    > PC. Works fine, and it's what I used to play around with JWS some
    > time ago.

    Fair enough. I can certainly start there. But I'd still be interested in
    knowing of a free place that is up close to 24x7 where I can park my code
    once I get JWS figured out.

    --
    Novice

    Novice, Dec 14, 2011
  4. Novice

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/14/2011 5:19 PM, Novice wrote:
    > markspace<-@.> wrote in news:jcb4dn$3dj$:
    >> On 12/14/2011 1:16 PM, Novice wrote:
    >>> I am interested in experimenting with Java Web Start a bit but I'm
    >>> hitting a rather formidable obstacle that is keeping me from getting
    >>> started.
    >>>
    >>> As I understand it, I need to set up some space on a server and set
    >>> up a JNLP MIME type.
    >>>

    >> For first testing you can just download and install Apache on your own
    >> PC. Works fine, and it's what I used to play around with JWS some
    >> time ago.
    >>

    > Fair enough. I can certainly start there. But I'd still be interested in
    > knowing of a free place that is up close to 24x7 where I can park my code
    > once I get JWS figured out.

    Both the jar file and the JNLP file are just bytes server side, so
    any free web server should work (only potential problem is if
    MIME types will be a problem).

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 14, 2011
  5. Novice

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 21:16:52 +0000 (UTC), Novice <novice@example..com>

    >As I understand it, I need to set up some space on a server and set up a
    >JNLP MIME type.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/isp.html

    that migt be a good place to start your search.

    another way to track one down is to search for JWS apps and see which
    servers they are hosted on.

    If you find some, please let me know to add to the list.

    I could also help you. You could email me your jnlp and *.jar and I
    could post them at http://mindprod.com/dropoff

    That would be a pretty slow loop though.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    Roedy Green, Dec 15, 2011
  6. Novice

    David Segall Guest

    Novice <novice@example..com> wrote:

    >markspace <-@.> wrote in news:jcb4dn$3dj$:
    >
    >> On 12/14/2011 1:16 PM, Novice wrote:
    >>> I am interested in experimenting with Java Web Start a bit but I'm
    >>> hitting a rather formidable obstacle that is keeping me from getting
    >>> started.
    >>>
    >>> As I understand it, I need to set up some space on a server and set
    >>> up a JNLP MIME type.
    >>>

    >> For first testing you can just download and install Apache on your own
    >> PC. Works fine, and it's what I used to play around with JWS some
    >> time ago.
    >>

    >Fair enough. I can certainly start there. But I'd still be interested in
    >knowing of a free place that is up close to 24x7 where I can park my code
    >once I get JWS figured out.

    I use my own machine, which is supposed to be up 24x7, because it is
    faster (for me) than the free server at 000WebHost
    <http://www.000webhost.com/>. I use 000WebHost as a failover server
    when mine is down. The free version of 000WebHost is slow and FTP
    transfers often fail because of that. They also insist that someone
    visits your site regularly and you visit your account once a year. I
    use the free Montastic <http://www.montastic.com/> for the former.
    ZoneEdit <http://www.zoneedit.com/> handles the dynamic DNS at no
    charge and their failover service costs one dollar a year.

    David Segall, Dec 15, 2011
  7. Novice

    Novice Guest

    Roedy Green <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 21:16:52 +0000 (UTC), Novice <novice@example..com>
    >
    >>As I understand it, I need to set up some space on a server and set up a
    >>JNLP MIME type.

    > see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/isp.html
    >
    > that migt be a good place to start your search.
    >
    > another way to track one down is to search for JWS apps and see which
    > servers they are hosted on.
    >
    > If you find some, please let me know to add to the list.
    >
    > I could also help you. You could email me your jnlp and *.jar and I
    > could post them at http://mindprod.com/dropoff
    >
    > That would be a pretty slow loop though.

    Thanks, Roedy.

    I think I'll start by hosting the Java Web Start on my own machine so that
    I can get up to speed with what is involved. Based on what Arne said, I'll
    try my free hosting guys next and see if the lack of a JNLP MIME type poses
    a problem. If that doesn't work out, I'll follow your suggestions and see
    where that takes me.

    --
    Novice

    Novice, Dec 15, 2011
  8. Novice

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:38:45 +0000 (UTC), Novice <novice@example..com>

    >Thanks, Roedy.
    >
    >I think I'll start by hosting the Java Web Start on my own machine so that
    >I can get up to speed with what is involve

    you can have a look at my JNLP for
    http://mindprod.com/webstart/esper.html
    http://mindprod.com/webstart/setclock.html
    http://mindprod.com/webstart/replicator.html

    It is lot easier to tweak something that already works than compose it
    from scratch.

    Roedy Green, Dec 15, 2011
  9. Novice

    Novice Guest

    Roedy Green <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:38:45 +0000 (UTC), Novice <novice@example..com>
    >
    >>Thanks, Roedy.
    >>
    >>I think I'll start by hosting the Java Web Start on my own machine so
    >>that I can get up to speed with what is involve

    > you can have a look at my JNLP for
    > http://mindprod.com/webstart/esper.html
    > http://mindprod.com/webstart/setclock.html
    > http://mindprod.com/webstart/replicator.html
    >
    > It is lot easier to tweak something that already works than compose it
    > from scratch.

    You're absolutely right about that. Well, most of the time anyway ;-)
    Sometimes, an example can be more confusing than helpful if it is too
    complex. But I'll give your examples the benefit of the doubt and take a
    look when I get a minute....

    Thanks!

    --
    Novice