Basic Mac/Java Question

kag

I've got a Java application that compiles and runs fine on the Windows
platform. Now I'm trying to build it on a Mac running OS9. The immediate
problem is that the compiler can't seem to find some of the import packages,
specifically javax.swing and java.awt.print. What's the deal here?

David Risner

kag said:
I've got a Java application that compiles and runs fine on the Windows
platform. Now I'm trying to build it on a Mac running OS9. The
immediate problem is that the compiler can't seem to find some of the
import packages, specifically javax.swing and java.awt.print. What's
the deal here?

Mac OS 9 does Java 1.1 only. You can get Swing and the collection classes
for 1.1 from Sun's website.

Otherwise, you need to stay with the 1.1 API for Mac OS 9.

Now Mac OS X is a whole other beast with a good 1.3 VM and a good for non-
gui (at least non-AWT) 1.4 VM.

David Zimmerman

kag said:
I've got a Java application that compiles and runs fine on the Windows
platform. Now I'm trying to build it on a Mac running OS9. The immediate
problem is that the compiler can't seem to find some of the import packages,
specifically javax.swing and java.awt.print. What's the deal here?

OS9 only ever supported java 1.1.4 with MRJ

Andrew Thompson

Steve W. Jackson

David Zimmerman said:
:kag wrote:
:> I've got a Java application that compiles and runs fine on the Windows
:> platform. Now I'm trying to build it on a Mac running OS9. The immediate
:> problem is that the compiler can't seem to find some of the import packages,
:> specifically javax.swing and java.awt.print. What's the deal here?
:>
:>
:
:OS9 only ever supported java 1.1.4 with MRJ
:

Wrong -- the latest MRJ supports 1.1.8.