basic maze problem with turtle

baujacob

Hi everyone, I'm trying to create a simple maze program. When the user finishes the maze, I want to print in big letters "You Win!" and when the user hits a wall, I want the user to go back to the beginning of the maze. The problem is "collision detection" which is an advanced topic and I'm only in a beginning programming class. Is there anyway I can force the user back tothe starting point when the turtle hits the wall? Thank you in advance.

Denis McMahon

Is there anyway I can force the user back to the starting point
when the turtle hits the wall?

Yes, however, do not expect us to code it for you.

Rather, discuss your method, and how you think it should be coded, or
even better your solution, and why it doesn't do what you expect, and we
will attempt to lead you to solving your problem.

At present, with no idea of how your maze is represented in terms of data
structure, it would be near on impossible for anyone here, no matter how
expert they are in coding python, to write code that interacts with it.

Except perhaps Nikos. Nikos can probably write you extremely elegant one
line python solutions to any coding problem you describe to him. His
solutions might suffer the very minor flaw of not working, but they're
guaranteed to be Nikos certified aesthetically pure, and hence far
superior to any solution more mundane coders might produce.

Gary Herron

Except perhaps Nikos. Nikos can probably write you extremely elegant one
line python solutions to any coding problem you describe to him. His
solutions might suffer the very minor flaw of not working, but they're
guaranteed to be Nikos certified aesthetically pure, and hence far
superior to any solution more mundane coders might produce.

That was uncalled for. There is already too much Nikos-bashing and
Nikos-basher-bashing (and so on) in this newsgroup without dredging up
even more in this completely unrelated request.

Gary Herron

Steven D'Aprano

[skip useful advise to a beginner]
Except perhaps [skip completely uncalled for baiting of somebody not
even remotely collected to this thread.]

Was that really necessary?

Antoon Pardon

Op 14-10-13 00:03, Denis McMahon schreef:
Except perhaps Nikos. Nikos can probably write you extremely elegant one
line python solutions to any coding problem you describe to him. His
solutions might suffer the very minor flaw of not working, but they're
guaranteed to be Nikos certified aesthetically pure, and hence far
superior to any solution more mundane coders might produce.

I don't think including this was a smart move. It risks turning this
totally unrelated thread into a Nikos-like thread. I don't think
baujacob did anything that deserves that his question will be used
as an opportunity to have a jab at Nikos which may turn this thread
into something totally unhelpful for baujacob himself.

Denis McMahon

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 23:54:34 +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

(and Gary Herron wrote similar)
Was that really necessary?

Am I still pissed at being told my solution was crap because it had too
many lines?

Chris Angelico

Who the hell is Nikos? I hear reference to this guy ALL the time, is he a
troll or a python god?
this simply isn't clear.. I have only been on this list a few months.

He's a troll, sometimes goes by the name "Ferrous Cranus", and he
really isn't worth polluting this thread about. Search python-list
archives for superhost.gr (his web site - be aware that he and it are
Greek, so some of his error messages and such are non-ASCII) and have
a read. Unfortunately he manages to drive a number of people to
frustration, which results in bad blood and spiralling unpleasantness,
which sometimes spills over into other threads, like this.

What we really should do is use multiple processes of conversation,
instead of threads. That way, if one goes rogue, it can't affect
memory used by other conversations...

ChrisA

Antoon Pardon

Op 14-10-13 15:02, Sam Fourman Jr. schreef:
Who the hell is Nikos? I hear reference to this guy ALL the time, is he
a troll or a python god?
this simply isn't clear.. I have only been on this list a few months.

He is the lists help vampire. He comes to the list when his programs
break and insists that we help him out. Advise to read up on a
particular subject is generally ignored as are links that explain what
is going on. When a correction is offered, he often enough rejects it
because it is somehow too many lines or such reasons. When he finnaly
accept a correction, that often enough reveals a new bug and the
cycle restarts.

Tobiah

That was uncalled for. There is already too much Nikos-bashing and Nikos-basher-bashing (and so on) in this newsgroup without
dredging up even more in this completely unrelated request.

Wait, doesn't this make you a Nikos-basher-basher? :()