Basic Membership and Roles Question Migrating from Class ASP

needin4mation

Hi, right now I have a classic ASP site that filters users based upon a
MySQL database. The database was created with users and groups tables.
Based upon the values in the database a user is allowed to see certain
controls or menu options on the page.

Does ASP.NET 2.0 Membership and Roles replace this? Can I turn off and
on menu items and controls with it? Is using the built in asp.net sql
server database that is created with the solution the way this is done
now?

Thank you for any help.