Basic Question - Looking to view a record not displayed by Grid or DataView

Discussion in '.NET' started by daveydave999, Oct 5, 2007.

  1. daveydave999

    daveydave999

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    This should probably be an easy question for most of you. I'm brand new to .net but not to asp.

    Backend - SQL2000
    Language = VB
    ASP.net 2.0

    I'm doing your basic Search - View Search Results / use hyperlink to view the details of a single record so that I can update said record.

    I'll describe it in a 3 file approach:
    search.aspx - > SearchResults.aspx (many records) -> Record Detail.aspx (retrieved via hyperlink on SearchResults.aspx)

    The problem I'm having is that every example I've read or watched for this type of Update uses a Grid View or DetailsView grid and I don't want to be stuck in a grid. I want to have control over where I place textboxes, dropdowns, checkboxes, etc... I would like absolute control if possible for the Details of the Record but I'm fine with the templates / designs in a grid for the search and searchresults pages. I was able to do this in .asp with tables etc...

    What is the best method for displaying record Details in a way which I can have some control on how they are displayed? For example, I don't want any of the template / grid style views.

    Can anyone point me to an example or a method for displaying the cell information in a way which I can manipulate the placement of my fields?

    I know, probably a very easy answer, but I just haven't come across it!

    Dave

    daveydave999, Oct 5, 2007