basic question on Java in XP

Discussion in 'Java' started by Cynthia Campbell, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    can someone please tell me how to ascertain what version (if any) of Java is
    installed in a WinXP platform?

    my friend needs some kind of Java module installed so that she can do a
    tutorial for an online registration service.

    any help would be appreciated.

    Cynthia
    Cynthia Campbell, Nov 9, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Cynthia Campbell

    Ivan Gotcha Guest

    Open a Command Prompt window and type "java -version"
    Ivan Gotcha, Nov 9, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Cynthia Campbell

    Steve Sobol Guest

    Ivan Gotcha wrote:
    > Open a Command Prompt window and type "java -version"


    There's a system property that'll work too if you need to check it from within
    an app.

    It's no different from Java running on other platforms.


    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
    PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
    Steve Sobol, Nov 9, 2004
    #3
  4. On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 03:30:45 GMT, Cynthia Campbell wrote:

    > can someone please tell me how to ascertain what version (if any) of Java is
    > installed in a WinXP platform?


    Browser or desktop? (This is an important distinction, since
    they are not necessarily the same.)

    You can find out which Java (if any) a browser is using by
    pointing it here.
    <http://www.physci.org/pc/property.jsp?prop=java.version>

    OTOH, there is a link to download the 'application' version of that
    program (JTest - at the top of the page) that will show that property
    (as well as others) for the destop.

    But let's clarify browser/desktop first.


    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.PhySci.org/codes/ Web & IT Help
    http://www.PhySci.org/ Open-source software suite
    http://www.1point1C.org/ Science & Technology
    http://www.LensEscapes.com/ Images that escape the mundane
    Andrew Thompson, Nov 9, 2004
    #4
  5. Andrew: good point - my friend needs a version of Java installed to enable
    certain functions in a browser - is this different than the "runtime Java"
    from sun systems?

    thanks...


    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 03:30:45 GMT, Cynthia Campbell wrote:
    >
    > > can someone please tell me how to ascertain what version (if any) of

    Java is
    > > installed in a WinXP platform?

    >
    > Browser or desktop? (This is an important distinction, since
    > they are not necessarily the same.)
    >
    > You can find out which Java (if any) a browser is using by
    > pointing it here.
    > <http://www.physci.org/pc/property.jsp?prop=java.version>
    >
    > OTOH, there is a link to download the 'application' version of that
    > program (JTest - at the top of the page) that will show that property
    > (as well as others) for the destop.
    >
    > But let's clarify browser/desktop first.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Thompson
    > http://www.PhySci.org/codes/ Web & IT Help
    > http://www.PhySci.org/ Open-source software suite
    > http://www.1point1C.org/ Science & Technology
    > http://www.LensEscapes.com/ Images that escape the mundane
    Cynthia Campbell, Nov 9, 2004
    #5
  6. On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 06:55:18 GMT, Cynthia Campbell wrote:

    See responses below..

    > "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 03:30:45 GMT, Cynthia Campbell wrote:
    >>
    >>> can someone please tell me how to ascertain what version (if any) of

    > Java is
    >>> installed in a WinXP platform?

    >>
    >> Browser or desktop? (This is an important distinction, since
    >> they are not necessarily the same.)


    > Andrew: good point - my friend needs a version of Java installed to enable
    > certain functions in a browser


    Internet Explorer (by any chance)?
    ...
    >> You can find out which Java (if any) a browser is using by
    >> pointing it here.
    >> <http://www.physci.org/pc/property.jsp?prop=java.version>


    Get your friend to visit this link. If it says '1.1.4',
    that will (probably) be the problem.

    > ...is this different than the "runtime Java"
    > from sun systems?


    Possibly, especially if the browser is Internet Explorer, or very old.
    Your friend *should* upgrade the browser to Sun Java if it is *not*
    using it. While there are other good manufacurers of the Java plug-in,
    there are also some bad ones, and it is best (for average end users)
    to stick with the one made by Sun.

    OTOH, perhpas I should have a closer look at this
    "..tutorial for an online registration service.".
    What is the URL?

    [ If they have been smart, it will work with Java 1.1 +,
    and the problem *might* be something other than what I
    am guessing (IE missing modern Java) ].

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.PhySci.org/codes/ Web & IT Help
    http://www.PhySci.org/ Open-source software suite
    http://www.1point1C.org/ Science & Technology
    http://www.LensEscapes.com/ Images that escape the mundane
    Andrew Thompson, Nov 9, 2004
    #6
  7. "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    news:fewghr8b588h$.jpqu3wtugwwn$...
    > On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 06:55:18 GMT, Cynthia Campbell wrote:
    >
    > See responses below..
    >
    > > "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > >> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 03:30:45 GMT, Cynthia Campbell wrote:
    > >>> can someone please tell me how to ascertain what version (if any) of

    > > Java is installed in a WinXP platform? Browser or desktop? (This is an

    important distinction, since
    > >> they are not necessarily the same.)

    >
    > > Andrew: good point - my friend needs a version of Java installed to

    enable
    > > certain functions in a browser

    >
    > Internet Explorer (by any chance)?
    > ..
    > >> You can find out which Java (if any) a browser is using by
    > >> pointing it here.
    > >> <http://www.physci.org/pc/property.jsp?prop=java.version>


    > Get your friend to visit this link. If it says '1.1.4', that will

    (probably) be the problem.
    >
    > > ...is this different than the "runtime Java" from sun systems?

    >
    > Possibly, especially if the browser is Internet Explorer, or very old.

    Your friend *should* upgrade the browser to Sun Java if it is *not* using
    it. While there are other good manufacurers of the Java plug-in, there are
    also some bad ones, and it is best (for average end users) to stick with
    the one made by Sun.
    >
    > OTOH, perhpas I should have a closer look at this "..tutorial for an

    online registration service.".What is the URL?


    Hello Andrew:

    Thanks for the pointers.

    When I visit the link above with IE6, it shows nothing. When I visit with
    Mozilla Firefox, it says, "Java Version 1.4.2_05." I'm slowly getting the
    picture here. M$ seems to have dropped its support for it's "java VM"
    environment; therefore, I suppose if my friend wants to do her online
    tutorial, she'll need to use a Mozilla-based browser. I did recently
    install the latest Sun java runtime on her system (therefore the version
    readout above); it's just that I assumed somehow that Sun java would install
    its own plugin in IE6.

    The registration service is called "regonline"; they don't say much about
    their tutorials on their site.

    Cynthia
    Cynthia Campbell, Nov 9, 2004
    #7
  8. On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 08:46:55 GMT, Cynthia Campbell wrote:

    > "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > news:fewghr8b588h$.jpqu3wtugwwn$...

    ....
    >>>> You can find out which Java (if any) a browser is using by
    >>>> pointing it here.
    >>>> <http://www.physci.org/pc/property.jsp?prop=java.version>

    ...
    > When I visit the link above with IE6, it shows nothing.


    It should NEVER show NOTHING, Cynthia.

    It might display
    "This page requires 'Java enabled'. Please consult
    your browser settings or system administrator."

    Or.. "This applet requires the free Java Plug-In."

    Which is it?

    >>> ...is this different than the "runtime Java" from sun systems?

    >>
    >> Possibly, especially if the browser is Internet Explorer, or very old.


    > ....M$ seems to have dropped its support for it's "java VM"
    > environment;


    Yes. Now MS supply IE with no Java.
    (A lot of browser makers offer 'Java'/'No Java' options)
    The user can install Java if they want.

    >..therefore, I suppose if my friend wants to do her online
    > tutorial, she'll need to use a Mozilla-based browser.


    She can install it for IE's use, or *configure IE* as apporpriate.

    But, listen closely.

    I am not sure what the problem is yet, and before we go getting
    carried away, I want to see this applet for myself.

    >> OTOH, perhpas I should have a closer look at this "..tutorial for an
    >> online registration service.".What is the URL?

    ...
    > The registration service is called "regonline";


    This one? <http://www.regonline.com/>

    >..they don't say much about
    > their tutorials on their site.


    I could not see any applets at all. Can you copy/paste the
    URL (web address) you visit to see this page?

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.PhySci.org/codes/ Web & IT Help
    http://www.PhySci.org/ Open-source software suite
    http://www.1point1C.org/ Science & Technology
    http://www.LensEscapes.com/ Images that escape the mundane
    Andrew Thompson, Nov 9, 2004
    #8
  9. Hi Andrew,

    Thanks for your comments. Re, your last comment, I re-affirm that IE6 shows
    NOTHING (except a large blank square with a tiny square red "x" in the upper
    left - IE's "can't load graphic" icon..) When I use FireFox, I get a
    drop-down select, then below a grey square with the info chosen in the
    drop-down visible.

    I even went into IE6 tools/options and ENABLED all the Java options in
    advanced (Java Sun, Java console, Java logging and Java compiler). I then
    re-booted the whole system, but the web-link still gave the
    "empty/no-graphic" icon described above.

    As far as the "regonline" tutorial, I'll have to check with their tech
    support to see what they require. Nonetheless, I would like to get IE6
    Java-friendly if possible.

    Cynthia
    Cynthia Campbell, Nov 10, 2004
    #9
  10. On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:05:46 GMT, Cynthia Campbell wrote:

    > Thanks for your comments. Re, your last comment, I re-affirm that IE6 shows
    > NOTHING (except a large blank square with a tiny square red "x" in the upper
    > left - IE's "can't load graphic" icon..) When I use FireFox, I get a
    > drop-down select, then below a grey square with the info chosen in the
    > drop-down visible.


    That is a warning sign that my earlier guesses were *WRONG*.
    There is another thing that might have happened to IE.

    Let's test it..
    <http://www.physci.org/test/appletcall/index5.html>

    This page was designed for something else, but it might
    tell me something important. What are the (any) word or
    words before "Above is defined an applet call in two
    forms, an..."

    Are there *any* words *above* that sentence? What are they?

    > I even went into IE6 tools/options and ENABLED all the Java options in
    > advanced (Java Sun, Java console, Java logging and Java compiler).


    Good. I was about to ask you to go into IE options, but it
    seems you're already ahead of me there. We might come back to
    those, but it's good to know you are familiar with them.

    (snip)
    > As far as the "regonline" tutorial, I'll have to check with their tech
    > support to see what they require.


    If you could. I always forget to add "..and don't forget to
    ask the people who supply this Applet!"

    >..Nonetheless, I would like to get IE6
    > Java-friendly if possible.


    OK, that answers a question I was about to ask you.
    (Are you prepared to simply dump IE and use a different browser?
    ...Good to see you are not giving in so easily! )

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.PhySci.org/codes/ Web & IT Help
    http://www.PhySci.org/ Open-source software suite
    http://www.1point1C.org/ Science & Technology
    http://www.LensEscapes.com/ Images that escape the mundane
    Andrew Thompson, Nov 10, 2004
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. kag

    Basic Mac/Java Question

    kag, Nov 10, 2003, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    342
    Steve W. Jackson
    Nov 11, 2003
  2. Chris Berg
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    513
    Sudsy
    Nov 23, 2003
  3. Engineer
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    612
    Jeremy Bowers
    May 1, 2005
  4. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    428
  5. Bonnie Johnson
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    501
    Andrew Thompson
    Jan 10, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page