Basic Reporting

Guest

I was trying to display a report on a web page. I added a report object to
my project and dropped a report viewer control on the page. I assigned the
reportsource property in page_load, but I can't get anything to work.

(The closest I get is a login failure error. But when I generate the .rpt
file, I can get to the database without issue and this is all on the same
machine. And I can't find any properties to set that stuff on the crystal
viewer object or in the report.)

Can someone point me to instructions on how to use the crystal report stuff?
The included documentation is quite sparse.

I just want to be able to create .rpt files with the built in report
generator (VS2003) and have the results displayed on a web page. Thanks.

Jerry

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the ASPNET newsgroup.

From your description, you're getting some error when using the Crystal
Report's viewer in asp.net page. Also, you mentioned that it worked when
you designing it at design-time. If so, is the error you encountered at
runtime a security specific error? At design-time in VS IDE, it will use
the current logon user's security identity to visit the report's
DataSource,
however, at runtime, ASP.NET web application is using the applicaiton's
process idenitity to visit any external resources, so if the process
idenitity dosn't have the sufficient permission, there will raise security
issue.

In addition, if the problem if crystal report's detailed development or
code logic related, I suggest you try contacting Crystal Report support on
further throubleshooting.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Basic Reporting
| Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:04:39 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I was trying to display a report on a web page. I added a report object
| my project and dropped a report viewer control on the page. I assigned
the
| reportsource property in page_load, but I can't get anything to work.
|
| (The closest I get is a login failure error. But when I generate the .rpt
| file, I can get to the database without issue and this is all on the same
| machine. And I can't find any properties to set that stuff on the crystal
| viewer object or in the report.)
|
| Can someone point me to instructions on how to use the crystal report
stuff?
| The included documentation is quite sparse.
|
| I just want to be able to create .rpt files with the built in report
| generator (VS2003) and have the results displayed on a web page. Thanks.
|
| Jerry

Newbie

Hi,

Is there any other (simpler and cost-effective) alternative to this
reporting needs? I tried the ReportViewer Component. It works OK. Only so
sloooo....ooow on design time (even on my development machine which has 1 GB
of RAM).

Comments, please.

Regards,
Andy