basic-- server-side validation

middletree

I'd like to see if there is any guidance in the form of sample code or a
tutorial for server-side validation. Specifically for the thing I am trying
to do, if a user types too many letters into Textarea, then they see an
error on the screen. I was able to catch most occurrences of this error with
client-side javascript. However, I'd like to handle it server-side in order
to catch those cases that get by the javascript for whatever reason. If I
could just catch the error before it gets displayed, then display a warning
in red letters in a pretty format, then that's all I'm hoping to do.

I went to ASPFAQ.com, didn't find anything there. I also did a search of
this forum and didn't see anything. I know conceptually what I want to do,
but I am not sure how to go about it.