Basic Servlet Engine Question

Bernard

Hi all,

I have been using jserv with Apache 1.3 quite successfully.

Now I am switching to Tomcat and find that this is a moster, a total
overkill for what I need.

Can you suggest anything smaller?

I don't need JSP, just HTTPServlet as in the servlet specification 2.0
and a server side include mechanism such as provided with the
<servlet> tag in HTML pages.

The reason I switch is to get something that runs with the supported
version 2 of Apache. I understand there is no mod_jserv for it.

Tomcat doesn't want to reload applications as jserv did. It needs a
manager application which is web based. I don't want that because I
consider it a security risk. Why so complicated?

Many thanks,

Bernard

Alexandre Touret

Bernard said:
Hi all,

I have been using jserv with Apache 1.3 quite successfully.

Now I am switching to Tomcat and find that this is a moster, a total
overkill for what I need.

Can you suggest anything smaller?

I don't need JSP, just HTTPServlet as in the servlet specification 2.0
and a server side include mechanism such as provided with the
<servlet> tag in HTML pages.

The reason I switch is to get something that runs with the supported
version 2 of Apache. I understand there is no mod_jserv for it.

Tomcat doesn't want to reload applications as jserv did. It needs a
manager application which is web based. I don't want that because I
consider it a security risk. Why so complicated?

Many thanks,

Bernard

Hi
Jserv is too old !
Tomcat is the smallest servlet engine you will find actually

Alexandre

raymond

I have been using jserv with Apache 1.3 quite successfully.
Jserv is too old !
Tomcat is the smallest servlet engine you will find actually

Jetty is also pretty small (and very good).

Bryce

Tomcat doesn't want to reload applications as jserv did. It needs a
manager application which is web based. I don't want that because I
consider it a security risk. Why so complicated?

Tomcat *HAS* a manager application which is web based, but certainly
doesn't require it!

Juha Laiho

Bernard said:
Tomcat doesn't want to reload applications as jserv did. It needs a
manager application which is web based. I don't want that because I
consider it a security risk. Why so complicated?

Complicated, but also flexible (to be used in numerous different
scenarios). As for security, you can limit the manager access to
a trusted interface on your server.

About reloading apps, see the documentation; default is not to reload,
but Tomcat can be configured to reload apps.