Basic Steps for Creating ASP.NET app.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Niks, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Niks

    Niks Guest

    Hi,

    I am new to ASP.NET. I have to develop a SIMPLE web based project in
    ASP.NET.
    I have a few questions reagarding that -

    1) Do we need to create a new project by selecting ASP.NET web
    application from VS.NET or can we directly create it manually like
    typical ASP app. and create all other files like web.config manually ?

    2) Do I need to use Code Behind for all .aspx files I develop. I
    understand that Code Behind, is the core concept of ASP.NET to
    differentiate HTML and server side code. ?

    3) Can I use the connection string for my app in Web.Config and call
    it on each page (Import System.Configuration) or is there a better way
    ?

    4) If I use Code Behind, do I need to build the entire project every
    time I make changes while developing ? or can I just save the file and
    test the app. like classic asp's ?

    5) What is the best way to pass variables from one form to another
    (Form, Querystring, Containers) in .NET ?

    5) What is the best way to copy the final App from one server to
    another ?

    Thanks.

    Niks, Dec 16, 2003

  2. That's a lot of questions. If you want detailed answers you'd be better off
    posting them separately. But here's a quick summary for you:

    1) You can create them manually, but why would you want to? VS. NET makes
    it much quicker.

    2) You don't need to use code behinds, but once again VS.NET makes this
    technique much easier & more efficient.

    3) Yes, put your connection string in your web.config. It's the standard
    way.

    4) If you click the run button your entire project will be built by default.
    As an alternative you can right click on your page in solution explorer and
    select "Open"

    5) There are a lot of ways you can use. Here are some articles on the
    subject to help you choose:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/04/ASPNETUserState/default.aspx
    http://www.aspalliance.com/kenc/passval.aspx
    http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/tutorials.aspx?tutorialid=600

    6) Under the Project drowndown menu there is a "Copy Project..." menu item.
    Select it, and a nice friendly dialog box pops up with instructions and help
    links and the works.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP