Basic structure of a Game

Snyke

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to developing Web stuff in Java, but me and some
friends of mine would like to make a little (or maybe not so little)
game using Java Technologies. I've done quite a lot with scripting
languages but after reaching a certain size they all became difficult
to maintain. So that's why we'd like to try using Java.
Anyway, the idea is to have a simulation, with a workhorse in the
background, the data is to be persisted in a database (Hibernate might
be nice here) and a Java Servlet/JSP Frontend (Java Servlets mainly
for Ajax purposes, JSP for serving data embedded in layout). Nothing
fancy yet.
As I mentioned above we are all new to creating Web based applications
using Java (although not Java, which I've used extensively over the
last couple of years), and we definitely need some pointers on how to
structure the application, what must be taken care off, and all the
things we might overlook, but first of all we need something to get us
started on the main design.

Do you know some basic tutorials about how to structure such an
application?

Regards,
Chris