    Basically what I want is to have some text/code that is common to all pages,
    but that I only need to update in one place?

    Does that make sense??

    JJ, Jun 13, 2006

  2. JJ

    clintonG Guest

    ASP.NET 2.0 Master Pages, Themes and Skins

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

    clintonG, Jun 13, 2006

  3. JJ

    Jason Coyne Guest

    It depends on the version of .net you are running, and what you are
    trying to do.

    In .net 2005, the best way to do it is probably Master Pages, as the
    other poster stated. You define your site look and feel in a master
    page, leaving blank areas to be filled in and customized by each
    content page.

    In earlier versions (and you can still do all these in 2005) there are
    some other methods :

    1) Create a base class that all your pages inherit from, and add items
    to the form collection in the base class to handle your shared look and
    feel. You can also Response.Write from the base class

    2) Use user controls, or custom server controls. Put shared look and
    feel into these controls, and then drop them onto each page. This is
    evry simmilar to the effect you got in classic ASP using server side
    includes. The downside to this method is that you must manually modify
    each page, and if your overall page design layout changes in the
    future, you need to go through and retouch each page again.

    Jason Coyne, Jun 13, 2006
  4. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Thanks. Unfortunately I'm using .net 1.1 . (at least for now) so if there's
    any way of doing it with this then please let me know

    JJ, Jun 13, 2006
  5. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Re: Basic Web Design Question

    Thanks Jason. Hmmmm I'm in two minds now whether to wait until I order VS
    2005 or continue with inheriting a base class...

    JJ, Jun 13, 2006
  6. JJ

    clintonG Guest

    ASP.NET 1.1 Master Pages, Themes and Skins using your own templates and
    providers or some solution others have documented assuming you could
    understand their logic and cope with what may then be discovered to not be
    as ideal as the getting over the little boo-boo by upgrading to 2.0 and
    having it all handed to you right out of the framework all nice and neat
    (more or less).

    clintonG, Jun 14, 2006
  7. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Just out of interest, whats the significant differenct between Visual Web
    Express 2005 and the professional version when it comes to asp.net (using
    vb) development and page design?

    The thought of being able to potentially do all my work in VS as opposed to
    swapping and changing with dreamweaver is a big bonus.

    JJ, Jun 14, 2006
  8. JJ

    clintonG Guest

    I've been using Visual Studio and utilize less than half of its Enterprise
    capabilities so AFIK the most significant difference in this context is the
    presence of wizards and code generators. Depending on the scope of one's
    work, it also depends on how much a person needs to depend on wizards and
    generator to remain productive. After that question is resolved it becomes
    IMO a simple matter of fundamental competencies.

    When tables were the dominant element for page design a tool like HomeSite
    included a table generator (which I still use in conjunction with Visual
    Studio 2005) and that table generator was for some time a priceless
    feature. Once generated however, when using HomeSite a developer has to
    modify tables by hand as HomeSite can not dynamically edit what it has
    generated. When Dreamweaver/FrontPage came along and made it possible to
    dynamically edit generated HTML productivity increased. However, dynamic
    table generation and editing seems to be a commodity in all web
    design/development tools developed by the major vendors these days. So IMO
    they are all fundamentally the same. Even more considerable is the fact that
    nobody's tools automate or generate markup styled with CSS in the same way
    tables have been and can be dynamically generated and maintained.

    So we're right back to square one and the question of one's competency with
    page layout vs one's dependency on page layout generators as the quest for
    productivity in the tools has shifted from page layout to development and
    generation of the "code behind." In that regard the name of the game is
    currently Visual Studio 2005 followed by the Express line of applications
    noting Microsoft also has new tools that are taking this paradigm even
    further [1].

    <%= Clinton Gallagher

    [1] http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/en/default.mspx

    clintonG, Jun 14, 2006