Batching emails :: aspEmail vs CDO :; sendQueue stability?

jason

Database: Access 2000
Host: Maximum ASP

I am trying to work out the best way to send bulk email below the 1000 mark
(about 800).

I understand that I could either use ASPEmail or CDO although I believe that
ASPEmail may be superior in that it offers SENDQUEUE command which will
allow me to loop through my customer database and insert them into the TO
fields.

1. Could the above be confirmed?
2. I wish my mailing list to be invisible - I don't want the mailing list to
be evident in the recipients email...is this just a question of looping them
into the BCC field?
3. I remember seeing some posts a while ago highlighting problems with the
SendQueue Method.... what are the curve balls with this approach.

My web host tells me I can send upto a 1000 per day yet www.aspfaq.com says
about 800. How do I tackle this task correclty. I cannot move up to SQL
Server or MSDE yet and I do not have access to a mail server...

Many thanks
Jason

jason

Thanks for feedback...

Does your host have the SendToQueue option installed? You need to check
that first.

Yes, this has been confirmed for ASPEMAIL, although I still need to find out
if CDO offers this too and whether this would be better? Which wins -
aspemail or cdo? I normally use Cdo but I'm prepared to go for aspmail to
get job done.

Here's what I would do for BCC, this way the recipients do not see
eachother. Just make sure that the AddAddress is a valid address in your
organization:

This is don't understand. What do you mean by AddAddress must be valid to
your organization...could you elaborate?
Mail.AddAddress "(e-mail address removed)", "Example Mailing List"
Mail.AddBcc MailingRs("email") MailingRs("recipient_name")

Mail.Subject "Here is a great subject"
Mail.Body "Here is the body of the message"
Mail.SendToQueue

Wow, is it really as easy as this.....is there any other constraints you
need to place on the script....I mean, how do you know:

- If the script executes correctly -
- What errors are normally thrown up if the recipients address is invalid or
their inbox is full...what are best practices?
- How long will it take to send out eg: 800 emails
- Is there any further steps I need to do to break up the emails?

- Jason

Adrienne

Thanks for feedback...

Yes, this has been confirmed for ASPEMAIL, although I still need to
find out if CDO offers this too and whether this would be better? Which
wins - aspemail or cdo? I normally use Cdo but I'm prepared to go for
aspmail to get job done.

This is don't understand. What do you mean by AddAddress must be valid
to your organization...could you elaborate?

When I send a bunch of BCC messages, instead of having the To: address one
of the recipients, I usually use myself. The old Netscape mail client was
able to send BCC without a To address. I don't know if Aspemail is able to
do this or not, therefore the suggestion that you use a valid email address
in your organization. Mail.Address is Aspemail's version of To:
Wow, is it really as easy as this.....is there any other constraints
you need to place on the script....I mean, how do you know:

- If the script executes correctly -

If Err <> 0 Then
Response.Write "An error occurred: " & Err.Description
End If
- What errors are normally thrown up if the recipients address is
invalid or their inbox is full...what are best practices?

You'll get returned mail from the recipients mail server. It goes without
saying that you need to clean your list of undeliverables. You might want
to think about making another table that has Inbox Full, or Vacation
another mailing.
- How long will it take to send out eg: 800 emails

It depends on what the server is doing, if it has tasks to complete, etc.
If I were you, I would try to send the mail in the evening.
- Is there any further steps I need to do to break up the emails?

Check your spelling, punctuation and grammar. I'm serious when I say this,
because there is nothing more unprofessional looking than misspellings and
bad grammar. Send a message to someone you know, and ask them to proofread
it before you send it out to your mailinglist.