BayPIGgies: April 8, 7:30pm

Aahz

The next meeting of BayPIGgies will be Thurs March 11 at 7:30pm. This
meeting will have two sessions:

A Practical Perspective on Python Performance
Jimmy Retzlaff <[email protected]>

Jimmy will discuss a number of lessons learned regarding performance in
a relatively large client-server Python application. Concepts including
when, what, and how to optimize will be discussed. Technologies including
extension modules, Pyrex
(http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Pyrex/), and Psyco
(http://psyco.sourceforge.net/) will be briefly compared. The talk will
conclude with some thoughts about the potential performance benefits of
dynamic typing over static typing.

Toying With Python - Highlighting "Keywords" in a Body of HTML Text
Danny Yoo <[email protected]>

Danny will demonstrate several approaches to solving a "simple" text
processing problem including several wrong turns along the way to show
what not to do. Both correctness and performance will be important in
this problem. The tutorial should briefly cover: brute-force searching,
dictionaries, regular expressions, and if we have time, maybe even
something like the Aho-Corasick automaton.

BayPIGgies meetings are in Stanford, California. For more information
and directions, see http://www.baypiggies.net/

Advance notice: The May 13 meeting will have a PyCon trip report from
Guido van Rossum and Aahz.