BC31011 Compilation Error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mythran, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Mythran

    Mythran Guest

    I'm getting this error and Microsoft's site states that the way we are using our
    libraries is unsupported and the error is by design (go figure). My setup is
    simple and why it isn't supported is completely unclear to me.

    1.) 2 Web Sites in solution, 1 DAL library, 1 BLL library, 1 Schema library (all
    in same solution).

    2.) DAL and BLL libraries are inheriting ServicedComponent, referencing and
    importing System.EnterpriseServices, using the Transaction attribute with
    TransactionOption.Required as the transaction option parameter. All public
    methods are marked with the AutoComplete() attribute. All libraries have a
    strong name.

    If I remove the transaction support, and remove the strong name, the error goes
    away. If I give it back the transaction support, I have to give them a strong
    name (by design). The only way to get this to work, by Microsoft, is to install
    these libraries into the GAC. They can't have a strong name and be located in
    the bin directory.

    My setup has them stored in the bin directory and not in the GAC. Especially for
    development and debugging reasons. I have found a workaround that allows the
    error to be bypassed, but am still curious as to why this error occurrs and why
    the heck strong name assemblies *must* be installed into the GAC.

    TO FIX ERROR:
    Compile the source then execute the code, when you get the error, change the
    code somehow (I just put a space at the end of a line that has code on it) then
    recompile the code. The temporary files will be updated with the new code and
    can now precompile correctly and load the assembly. After any change is made,
    the error will probably come back, you'll need to change the code again and
    recompile after loading the assembly so the error can go away.

    Now, compile-load-compile-load gets old very quickly, anyone have a better
    solution?

    The exact error is below:

    Compilation Error
    service this request. Please review the following specific error details and
    modify your source code appropriately.

    Compiler Error Message: BC31011: Unable to load referenced library
    'c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\temporary asp.net
    files\countywebadmin\478fda97\b3537147\assembly\dl2\95c7fad3\1d1aaa53_b3fcc301\mc
    is.applications.countyweb.dal.dll': Access is denied.

    Source Error:

    [No relevant source lines]

    Source File: vbc : Line: 0

    Mythran, Feb 26, 2004