Beautiful GUI programs

Jon Harrop

Hi!

I'd like to study the most elegant GUI Sudoku solvers written in Java. What
is the most elegant one you've ever seen?

Thanks,

Daniel Dyer

Hi!

I'd like to study the most elegant GUI Sudoku solvers written in Java.
What
is the most elegant one you've ever seen?

Thanks,

You may be interested in the applet I wrote for solving Sudoku. It's not
the most effective solver - it was written to demonstrate my evolutionary
algorithm library rather than to be the best solver. Because it uses
evolution it can occasionally get stuck on the last couple of cells (the
likelihood of this diminishes as the population size increases). Because
of this, I doubt it qualifies as "elegant", but it does visualise its
progress (by colouring cells) and may be a bit different to the other
programs that you find.

https://watchmaker.dev.java.net/examples/sudoku.html

(Requires Java 5 or later).

Dan.

bcr666

Hi!

I'd like to study the most elegant GUI Sudoku solvers written in Java. What
is the most elegant one you've ever seen?

Thanks,

What do you mean? A solver wouldn't need much of a GUI, just something
to input the problem, and to display the answer. Or do you mean
elegant in the execution of the problem solving?

I never wrote a program to solve Sudoku mainly because the challenge
for me is to solve the problem myself. If I just have to type it into
a screen and press "go", then I might as well get a data entry job
somewhere.

I can imagine though, as a tutorial for Sudoku solving, a program that
allows the user to enter the problem, and then clicks a "Step" button
that solves just one step, and how it got there.

shendoku.de

If you want to try out something new in sudoku, try shendoku, using
the sudoku rules but playing two people, one against the other, like
battleshipps. They have a free version to download at http://www.shendoku.com/sample.pdf
.. Anything else they are bringing out or they are working on you can
find at www.shendoku.com or at they´r blog www.shendoku.blogspot.com .
Have fun, I am. I specially like one slogan I heard about Shendoku:
SUDOKU is like masturbation (on your own).... SHENDOKU is like sex (it
takes two).

Lew

If you want to try out something new in sudoku, try shendoku, using
the sudoku rules but playing two people, one against the other, like
battleshipps [sic]. They have a free version ...

"They" means you, right?

"They have a free version" means the real version is for pay, right?

What does your post have to do with the message to which you replied?

This is not an advertising forum.

Lew

If you want to try out something new in sudoku, try shendoku, using
the sudoku rules but playing two people, one against the other, like
battleshipps. They have a free version ...

"They" means you, right?

And "... have a free version" means that the real product is for pay, correct?