beautiful soup library question

meyerkp

Hi all,

I'm trying to extract some information from an html file using
beautiful soup. The strings I want get are after br tags, eg:

I can navigate to the first br tag using find_next_sibling, but how do
I get the string after the br's?
br.contents is empty.

thanks for any ideas.

Erik Max Francis

I'm trying to extract some information from an html file using
beautiful soup. The strings I want get are after br tags, eg:

I can navigate to the first br tag using find_next_sibling, but how do
I get the string after the br's?
br.contents is empty.

I'm not familiar with Beautiful Soup specifically, but this isn't how
closed in HTML, <br> does not contain anything, it's just a line break.
If it were XHTML, it would be <br />, indicating that it's a
standalone tag.

Instead you want to traverse the contents of the font tag, taking into
account line breaks that you encounter.

Enigma Curry

Here's how I print each line after the <br>'s:

import BeautifulSoup as Soup
page=open("test.html").read()
soup=Soup.BeautifulSoup(page)
for br in soup.fetch('br'):