begginer: Client-Side control vs ActiveX?

AL

Hello,
I'm quite new to dotNet developing, and trying to understand what one can do
on the client-side, when presenting a WebControl.

My need is to understand whether I can develop a client-side webcontrol to
be used like it were an ActiveX control: imagine an ActiveX which can open a
socket to connect to some service running on a remote server, and maintain
the socket open. I could put such an ActiveX in an HTML page, and let it run
within the browser.
That is, the socket will be opened between the client (the activex within
the browser) and a remote server, maybe the same who gave the html page.

Now, with dotNet webcontrols, is it possible to do the same? I see docs
always talk about server-side webcontrols... is it possible to develop a
control only running on the client, or should I still use ActiveX for this
kind of problems?

Any hint greatly appreciated,
thank you
AL.