begginer: Client-Side control vs ActiveX?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by AL, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. AL

    AL Guest

    Hello,
    I'm quite new to dotNet developing, and trying to understand what one can do
    on the client-side, when presenting a WebControl.

    My need is to understand whether I can develop a client-side webcontrol to
    be used like it were an ActiveX control: imagine an ActiveX which can open a
    socket to connect to some service running on a remote server, and maintain
    the socket open. I could put such an ActiveX in an HTML page, and let it run
    within the browser.
    That is, the socket will be opened between the client (the activex within
    the browser) and a remote server, maybe the same who gave the html page.

    Now, with dotNet webcontrols, is it possible to do the same? I see docs
    always talk about server-side webcontrols... is it possible to develop a
    control only running on the client, or should I still use ActiveX for this
    kind of problems?

    Any hint greatly appreciated,
    thank you
    AL.