  1. ME V2.0

    ME V2.0 Guest

    I'm in the process of trying to learn the C++ language, and I'm looking for small projects that could help me practice. I need a project that will let apply the concepts I'm learning, or I'll have forgotten them in a week. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    ME V2.0, Aug 28, 2013

  2. "ME V2.0" <> writes:
    > I'm in the process of trying to learn the C++ language, and I'm
    > looking for small projects that could help me practice. I need a
    > project that will let apply the concepts I'm learning, or I'll have
    > forgotten them in a week. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    I recommend Project Euler problems [1]. Frankly, you're going to want to
    throw away code you write shortly after starting to learn a language,
    and these problems are all short and self-contained enough that you can
    write something shortish and then throw it away after it works.

    Obviously, this won't help you with the design of larger-scale projects,
    but I'd suggest you get comfortable with the language before starting
    one: it's easy to get tied in knots with complicated infrastructure and
    never have anything to show for it.

    Rupert

    [1] http://projecteuler.net
    Rupert Swarbrick, Aug 28, 2013

  3. ME V2.0

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Wed, 2013-08-28, ME V2.0 wrote:
    > I'm in the process of trying to learn the C++ language, and I'm
    > looking for small projects that could help me practice. I need a
    > project that will let apply the concepts I'm learning, or I'll have
    > forgotten them in a week. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Implement the top-20 utility discussed here last week.

    top20 some_text_file
    outputs the 20 lines of 'some_text_file' which sort first,
    like Unix sort some_text_file | head -20 would.
    top20 file1 file2 file3
    is the same thing, except the three files are seen as
    one big file
    top20
    is the same thing, except you read from std::cin.
    top20 -N42 file
    produces a top-42 list instead
    top20 -r file
    reverses the sorting, like sort -r
    top20 -n file
    does a numerical sort, like sort -n
    top20 -N5 -n -r file
    the options combine, of course

    Write it so the program doesn't use more memory the larger the input
    file is.

    Also construct test cases. Not unit tests but full-system tests.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Aug 28, 2013
  4. ME V2.0

    ME V2.0 Guest

    Thanks Rupert! These are exactly the kinds of problems I was looking for.
    ME V2.0, Aug 28, 2013
  5. ME V2.0

    Öö Tiib Guest

    On Wednesday, 28 August 2013 03:35:15 UTC+3, ME V2.0 wrote:
    > I'm in the process of trying to learn the C++ language, and I'm looking for
    > small projects that could help me practice. I need a project that will let
    > apply the concepts I'm learning, or I'll have forgotten them in a week.
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Net is full of collections of made up programming problems, puzzles and
    challenges. Like it: http://www.spoj.com/problems/classical/
    Those often aid to help to learn to face various complexities of
    programming. Issue is that the results are often useless in practice.

    Other option is to set your goals fully yourself. We use IT daily
    in every field of living. The ways how to make same (even tiny bit)
    better (more enjoyably/accurately/efficiently) are endless. You can
    write small programs for that. If you succeed then the results of
    your attempts are useful immediately. If you fail then you learn
    something. That may be more satisfying than to solve programming
    puzzles.
    Öö Tiib, Aug 28, 2013
  6. ME V2.0

    pini

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2007
    Messages:
    11
    Location:
    israel
    Here some examples which I did for the very same purpose:
    h===://bknpk.no-ip.biz/my_web/SystemC_MyFirst/cPPmy_first_text.html

    For an SD slave with Samsung flash (k9f1208) project, I wrote a reference model, in c++, that generates ECC for a 256 bytes.
    h===://bknpk.no-ip.biz/my_web/SDIO/sd_cpp_ecc_single_errHamming.html
    pini, Sep 11, 2013