beginner: add webreference at runtime

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by JK, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. JK

    JK Guest

    Hi all,

    I want to build some functionality in my ASP.NET app and do not know where
    to start, so just asking for some basic advice...

    Here is what I want to do:

    1. Store webreferences and methods as strings in my sql server database
    2. Retrieve such a string from the database
    3. From my ASP.NET app set a reference to the corresponding webservice
    3. Run a specified method (also stored in the database as string) optionally
    with some parameters
    4. Get the result and do something with it (like displaying xml data on a
    datagrid)

    I am having trouble with 3 and 4...

    Can anyone give me some hints or even better: give me some examples?

    Thanks a lot in advance!

    Regards,

    Joost

    JK, Dec 17, 2003

  2. JK

    Jan Tielens Guest

    Do you only want to change the location of the webservice at runtime (url),
    so the interface (wsdl) remains the same? Or do you want to be able any kind
    of webservices on any location?

    The first one is pretty simple: you can change the URL property. The second
    one is a little more complex, but there is a nice library created by
    Christian Weyer:
    http://weblogs.asp.net/cweyer/posts/9769.aspx
    Did you ever think about invoking your XML Web Services dynamically without
    having to generate a client side proxy class at design/compile time with
    wsdl.exe or Visual Studio .NET? - No need to know the exact Web Service
    description and endpoint at compile/design time. Just get your WSDL from
    UDDI (or from wherever you want, e.g. XMethods), specify the type to
    instantiate and the methods to call ... voila! Can be used from any .NET
    application or even an unmanaged resource.

    --
    Greetz,
    Jan

    Jan Tielens, Dec 17, 2003