beginner, connecting to webservices outside of .net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by andy, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. andy

    andy Guest

    Hi

    I will soon be asked to develop an app that calls xml over http.
    Its a MYSQL database on linux.

    I guess this means making a call to a webservice that the dba/developer
    provides ?
    is this the same as taling to a .net webservice, i cant imagine it
    would be as straight forward as making a reference to a webservice
    developed in .net, that would be too easy.

    Does anyone have any experience here, the issues/problems i need to be
    aware of when costing this project?

    On the security side, i guess as long as the server serves the xml data
    from https then the calls to the webservice will be secure ?

    Thanks for any help on this...

    andy, Jan 27, 2006

  2. andy

    m.posseth Guest

    yes i have experience with

    webservices created in delphi and webservices created with progress running
    on Linux machines

    my experience is that i had a lot of problems getting it to work with the
    standard methods for some unknown reasson the values were returned in the
    wrong indexes
    when the methods used byref values

    solution ?? wel i just clicked show all files , clicked the webreference
    and copied an pasted the proxy class that .Net genereates i have modified
    the class to my own needs ( changed the indexes )
    and now it is working fine

    regards

    Michel Posseth [MCP]

    m.posseth, Jan 29, 2006