Beginner. How to install JSP in Windows environment?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sky Sigal, Aug 24, 2004.

  1. Sky Sigal

    Sky Sigal Guest

    Hello.

    a) I know nothing about Java.
    b) Been wanting to get to know Java for a long time.
    c) Ultimately, I am looking for a means to install Java at home, and at remote
    clients -- without requiring a PhD to install the connectors, etc.
    d) So far -- the instructions at the Jakarta(sp?) site on their connector was
    enough to scare me off -- let alone any non-programmer client.
    e) They all have IIS. No apache. And they would not switch.

    Any suggestions as to where to download an install package that will install
    Java into IIS -- just like PHP does?

    Barring that -- how do you suggest writting software and distribute it to
    non-programmer clients who have no idea on how to install the runtime, etc?

    Thank you so much!

    PS: I really hope I am wrong here -- but if there is no easy installation
    package, could someone demystify me on one point: considering that there are
    20million programmers, and 6 billion non-programmers, that if Sun wants Java to
    take over the world, that they concentrate on making one for the non-programmers
    (30 times as many of them)? Or is Sun's war with MS so deeply ingrained that
    they won't?
    Sky Sigal, Aug 24, 2004

  2. Sky Sigal

    Bryce Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:37:14 +0200, "Sky Sigal"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello.
    >
    >a) I know nothing about Java.
    >b) Been wanting to get to know Java for a long time.
    >c) Ultimately, I am looking for a means to install Java at home, and at remote
    >clients -- without requiring a PhD to install the connectors, etc.
    >d) So far -- the instructions at the Jakarta(sp?) site on their connector was
    >enough to scare me off -- let alone any non-programmer client.
    >e) They all have IIS. No apache. And they would not switch.

    To use JSP (I assume JSP, as that's in your subject), you need a
    servlet container. Jakarta Tomcat is one, but there are several
    others. To let IIS or Apache use Tomcat to service Servlets, you need
    an adapter of some kind. Configuring them can be challenging at times.

    One alternative is to have Tomcat running as well as IIS. Pages
    featuring JSP or Servlets will need to to go port 8080 or whatever you
    set it to.

    --
    now with more cowbell
    Bryce, Aug 24, 2004

  3. Sky Sigal

    Will Hartung Guest

    "Sky Sigal" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > a) I know nothing about Java.
    > b) Been wanting to get to know Java for a long time.
    > c) Ultimately, I am looking for a means to install Java at home, and at

    remote
    > clients -- without requiring a PhD to install the connectors, etc.
    > d) So far -- the instructions at the Jakarta(sp?) site on their connector

    was
    > enough to scare me off -- let alone any non-programmer client.
    > e) They all have IIS. No apache. And they would not switch.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to where to download an install package that will

    install
    > Java into IIS -- just like PHP does?

    Tomcat is a slam dunk. Install the Sun JDK, Download Tomcat, Unzip it.

    You don't need IIS to develop Java apps with Tomcat. Locally you can simply
    disable IIS if it is running and run Tomcat instead on port 80, or you can
    let it peacefully co-exist with IIS and work against port 8080 (or any other
    port for that matter).

    Tomcat can easily serve static content (HTML, GIFs, PDFs) just like IIS.

    After you've written and worked with you application, you'll be much more
    comfortable with Tomcat and can then delve back in to the arcane details
    necessary to get Tomcat to work behind IIS, but that's only necessary if
    their current site is using any of the IIS features (notably ASP) beyond a
    general web server. If not, just run Tomcat straight and skip IIS.

    Finally, if you're deciding on a development platform solely on its
    simplicity to install, you really should reconsider your priorities.
    Developing in Tomcat is trivial to set up, deploying it behind a web server
    (IIS, Apache) is a bit more complicated, but that comes much later in the
    process.

    Or you can look at commercial solutions like JRrun for "double click"
    install.

    > Barring that -- how do you suggest writting software and distribute it to
    > non-programmer clients who have no idea on how to install the runtime,

    etc?

    Go to their site and set it up for them? Write up detailed instructions and
    tack a phone number on the bottom? Buy something like InstallShield and
    write scripts for it, like every other Windows programmer?

    Regards,

    Will Hartung
    ()
    Will Hartung, Aug 25, 2004