    functionality replace CSS and Javascript?

    Any help on the subject would be greatly appreicated.

    Thanks!
    Jozef, Nov 12, 2005

  2. Jozef

    clintonG Guest

    No not useful -- critical -- especially with ASP.NET 2.0. So consider some
    words of wisdom. All web developers who hope to master web development must
    master client-side scripting which as it turns out must be written using
    JavaScript and JavaScript as it turns out was derived from C. Nothing
    dynamic happens in the browser without a mastery of CSS and JavaScript both
    of which may be mutually exclusive of the other depending on the
    circumstances.

    This suggests adopting C# for ASP.NET server-side development as all
    languages derived from C share the same syntax and grammar. I call it the
    "341 Philosophy." A developer can learn three languages for the price of
    one: JavaScript, C# and Java can all be read and understood when any one of
    those three languages have been learned and mastered.

    The VB syntax continues to be sloppy and verbose but there is something to
    be said that it may be a teeny bit more productive to use as there can be
    circumstances that require writing less code but I consider this marginal
    when considering the big picture. There are a few VB coders who can hack
    client-side development but by and large it seems most are light in the
    pants when it comes to client-side scripting. That was me as a matter of
    fact and once I understood why I was light in the pants I adopted C# and my
    coding is getting better and better faster and faster.

    As for CSS as it applies to ASP.NET 2.0 (which is now the current release)
    you will need to know quite a bit of CSS when using Themes. As I've also
    said, client-side scripting is also critical to master and there are
    server-side statements you'll also have to learn to emit Javascript using
    your server-side code.

    Finally, reading your question at face value you it seems you still do not
    fully understand the difference between client-side scripting and
    server-side development. You need to do more study on this. Chalk it up to
    learning ASP when everything was dumped into the page like a bowl of
    spaghetti. Object Oriented Programming (OOP) is entirely different and it is
    OOP you need to learn and master if you intend to use ASP.NET to develop web
    applications.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
    URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

    clintonG, Nov 12, 2005

  3. Jozef

    Jozef Guest

    Thanks Clinton, I'm a VB / Database guy currently. The three tools to me
    all seem "critical", but with my lack of in depth understanding of ASP.net,
    I thought there could be something in it that may rule one, the other or
    both obsolete. I hate learning things when I dont' have to. ;)

    Just wanted to make sure I wasn't spinning my wheels by taking on both
    Javascript and CSS.

    Thanks again!

    Jozef, Nov 12, 2005
  4. Jozef

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    Aside from for loop constructs, case-sensitivity and curly braces, C#,
    JavaScript and Java have virtually nothing in common.

    Let's see....
    I know Javascript, therefore the .Net framework should be a snap if I use
    C#.
    I know Javascript, therefore the libraries in Java should be easy. And
    forget the seemingly endless Java frameworks - Spring, Swing, Struts. Oh,
    and then there's Tomcat, JBoss, Hibernate, blah, blah, blah.

    If you you want to make generalizations - and I know that's your tendancy -,
    Clinton, maybe just saying that if you know how to program, you can probably
    learn JavaScript would be sufficient.

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, Nov 12, 2005
  5. Jozef

    clintonG Guest

    Its a matter of syntax and grammar that the three languages share and that's
    all I've had to say. I think people who have acceptable reading
    comprehension skills can make that distinction.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher

    clintonG, Nov 21, 2005
  6. Jozef

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    hmmm...

    **
    Clinton said.....
    JavaScript, C# and Java can all be read and understood when any one of
    those three languages have been learned and mastered.
    **

    What nuance of language could interpret the above, from your "341
    Philosophy", any differently than I did? As I said, curly braces and
    case-sensitivity don't make one all-knowing across languages.

    I suppose you think that knowing about commas and periods enables an English
    speaking person to understand Italian.

    Bob Lehmann

    "clintonG" <> wrote in message
    > Its a matter of syntax and grammar that the three languages share and

    that's
    > all I've had to say. I think people who have acceptable reading
    > comprehension skills can make that distinction.
    >
    > <%= Clinton Gallagher
    >

    > "Bob Lehmann" <> wrote in message
    > > Aside from for loop constructs, case-sensitivity and curly braces, C#,
    > > JavaScript and Java have virtually nothing in common.
    > >
    > > Let's see....
    > > I know Javascript, therefore the .Net framework should be a snap if I

    use
    > > C#.
    > > I know Javascript, therefore the libraries in Java should be easy. And
    > > forget the seemingly endless Java frameworks - Spring, Swing, Struts.

    Oh,
    > > and then there's Tomcat, JBoss, Hibernate, blah, blah, blah.
    > >
    > > If you you want to make generalizations - and I know that's your
    > > tendancy -,
    > > Clinton, maybe just saying that if you know how to program, you can
    > > probably
    > > learn JavaScript would be sufficient.
    > >
    > > Bob Lehmann
    > >

    > > "clintonG" <> wrote in