Beginner Perl/CGI Book

Adam

Hi All,

I wonder if someone can recommend a good perl/CGI book? Now, I have to
admit, I don't know a whole lot about the subject (sorry) so my various
searches haven't helped me out that much.

The book is actually a present for my dad. He has an idea that he wants
to do some scripting stuff for his websites and has done a bit of
programming in the past.

The common thing which has turned up in my searches is "Learning Perl"
but I get the feeling this more of a tutorial on the actual language
than a mixed perl/cgi guide.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam

GM

Adam said:
Hi All,

I wonder if someone can recommend a good perl/CGI book? Now, I have to
admit, I don't know a whole lot about the subject (sorry) so my various
searches haven't helped me out that much.

The book is actually a present for my dad. He has an idea that he wants
to do some scripting stuff for his websites and has done a bit of
programming in the past.

The common thing which has turned up in my searches is "Learning Perl"
but I get the feeling this more of a tutorial on the actual language
than a mixed perl/cgi guide.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam

How many seconds did you spend searching..?

"CGI Programming with Perl"
Written by Guelich, Gundavaram & Birznieks
Published by O'Reilly & Assoiciates

Adam

How many seconds did you spend searching..?
Well, around 54,000 I'd say.
"CGI Programming with Perl"
Written by Guelich, Gundavaram & Birznieks
Published by O'Reilly & Assoiciates

....which gets slated for being absolutely full of errors :-(
Does it introduce perl at all? As I say above, I'm really looking for a
book to introduce both perl and CGI together.

Thanks,
Adam

Bob Walton

Adam said:

Does it introduce perl at all? As I say above, I'm really looking for a
book to introduce both perl and CGI together.

Try: Practical Perl with CGI Applications by Elizabeth B. Chang, Scott
Jones Publishers.

norfernuman

Adam said:
he wants
to do some scripting stuff for his websites and has done a bit of
programming in the past.

CGI Programming 101

This was recommended to me and it got me started, although I don't use
99% of what I learned from it anymore, it's a BASIC starting point with
Perl/CGI. Perl is used for so many things that it's hard to find a
really good place to learn how to use it for specificlly web jobs,
especially since PHP has risen to what ever it's risen to.

There is also, MySQL and Perl for the Web, but he goets into mod_perl
kind of soon. You might want to look at it.

Perhaps a tie and a PHP book? ;-)

- NN

Adam

Try: Practical Perl with CGI Applications by Elizabeth B. Chang, Scott
Jones Publishers.
Sounds good :) but hard to find! I can only find it at the publishers
and since I'm in the UK...

Adam

Adam

CGI Programming 101

This was recommended to me and it got me started, although I don't use
99% of what I learned from it anymore, it's a BASIC starting point with
Perl/CGI. Perl is used for so many things that it's hard to find a
really good place to learn how to use it for specificlly web jobs,
especially since PHP has risen to what ever it's risen to.

There is also, MySQL and Perl for the Web, but he goets into mod_perl
kind of soon. You might want to look at it.

Perhaps a tie and a PHP book? ;-)
Heh heh - maybe I'll just get him some socks!
So, I know nothing about "PHP". Should I be looking at that rather than
CGI/Perl? If not - don't worry ;-)

I've had a quick look at the CGI 101 book - looks good I think I'll go
with that :)

Thanks a lot all,
Adam