beginner question about range with list and list

erik gartz

Hello,
I'm new to python and I'm having difficulty understanding the following
code. Why doesn't the variable a contain [[{}, {'x': 0}, {}], [{},
{'x': 1}, {}]] instead. Doesn't {} allocate new memory for the
dictionary each time? It almost appears as if the 2nd dictionary
created overwrites the first one. Thanks for your help,
Erik
a = [[{}] * 3] * 2
a [[{}, {}, {}], [{}, {}, {}]]
for i in range(2): a[1] = {'x':i}
a [[{}, {'x': 1}, {}], [{}, {'x': 1}, {}]]

Dan Lenski

erik said:
Doesn't {} allocate new memory for the
dictionary each time? It almost appears as if the 2nd dictionary
created overwrites the first one. Thanks for your help,
Erik
a = [[{}] * 3] * 2
a [[{}, {}, {}], [{}, {}, {}]]
for i in range(2): a[1] = {'x':i}
a [[{}, {'x': 1}, {}], [{}, {'x': 1}, {}]]

You're right about both parts... sort of :)

Each time that {} is EVALUATED, it allocates a brand new dictionary.
However you're using the list repetition operator (* n). This operator
evaluates the list ONLY ONCE and then repeats that list n times.

The expression [{}]*3 will generate a list that contains the SAME
dictionary 3 times in a row. The expression [[{}]*3]*2 will generate a
list that contains the SAME list twice in a row. Thus, when you assign
to a[1], you are modifying a[0][1] and a[1][1], since a[0] and a[1]
are the same list.

The expression {'x':i} does indeed create a new dictionary each time it
is evaluated... however it gets assigned to the SAME list element each
time.

This is a fairly subtle point... if you want to make a new COPY of a
list (or other mutable object) rather than simply a new reference to
eat, you say a=b.copy() rather than just a=b. The ability to have
multiple references to one object is general considered a feature in
most programming languages, once you get used to it!

If you want to generate a 2x3 array with each element a DISTINCT
dictionary belonging to a DISTINCT list, try this:

a = [[{} for j in range(3)] for i in range(2)]
for i in range(2):
for j in range(3):
a[j] = {'row': i, 'column': j}

Dan

Fredrik Lundh

erik said:
I'm new to python and I'm having difficulty understanding the following
code. Why doesn't the variable a contain [[{}, {'x': 0}, {}], [{},
{'x': 1}, {}]] instead. Doesn't {} allocate new memory for the
dictionary each time?

each time it's *executed*, yes. [{}]*3 doesn't execute [] or {} three
times; it executes them both once, and then creates a new list with
three references to the dictionary. see:

http://effbot.org/pyfaq/how-do-i-create-a-multidimensional-list.htm

</F>