Beginner Question : Enabling Latin characters ASCII set for old Java version 1.2.2_10

Discussion in 'Java' started by humphrey.c.chan@gmail.com, May 19, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I am a beginner in Java programming.

    We are running an older verision of Solaris Java JDK 1.2.2_10 and have
    the rt.jar in our Solaris 8 server.

    We are getting occasional "IOException java.io.EOFException" errors
    when we run our Java program. Those errors occur when the program
    encounters characters outside the standard ASCII character set. Some
    examples are the Latin symbol for sections, trademark symbol, copyright
    symbol, etc. They are part of the Latin1 characters in the ISO-8859-1
    extended ASCII character set.

    We need to find out what class/library or basic encoding set is needed
    and how to test and resolve the problem.

    Thanks for your help in advance.

    Humphrey

    , May 19, 2005

    Re: Beginner Question : Enabling Latin characters ASCII set for old Java version 1.2.2_10

    escreveu:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am a beginner in Java programming.
    >
    > We are running an older verision of Solaris Java JDK 1.2.2_10 and

    have
    > the rt.jar in our Solaris 8 server.
    >
    > We are getting occasional "IOException java.io.EOFException" errors
    > when we run our Java program. Those errors occur when the program
    > encounters characters outside the standard ASCII character set. Some
    > examples are the Latin symbol for sections, trademark symbol,

    copyright
    > symbol, etc. They are part of the Latin1 characters in the

    ISO-8859-1
    > extended ASCII character set.
    >
    > We need to find out what class/library or basic encoding set is

    needed
    > and how to test and resolve the problem.
    >
    > Thanks for your help in advance.
    >
    > Humphrey

    Might be just a shell issue - fixed a similair problem for me a while
    back. In your .kshrc try:

    export LC_ALL=pt_BR
    export LANG=pt_BR

    Or whatever char set you want to support.

    Recently now that solaris comes with bash - though maybe not in your
    case - I've been using:

    export LANG=pt_BR.ISO-8859-1

    hth,
    iksrazal