Beginner Question

David Callaghan

Hi Guys

I'm new to VHDL and have a specific problem to try. Once I know what
I want to do will fit into the chosen PLD I can proceed and get the
hardware made.

The PLD I have in mind is a Xilinx Spartan series

What I need to do is:

* Run a single clock / counter @ 1MHz
* Have approx 200 timing capture inputs
* Read the time of transition of the timing inputs and store this for
processing with a microcontroller.

All the inputs will transition withing 10ms of the first

I am currently trawling through tutorials on VHDL, but there is a
steep initial learning curve.

I would appreciate it if someone could rough out how best to achieve
this in VHDL, and what part would fit it all in.

PS I am familiar with ABL

Best regards
David Callaghan

Mike Treseler

David Callaghan wrote:

I am currently trawling through tutorials on VHDL, but there is a
steep initial learning curve.

Consider starting with a simulator to
try small examples.
I would appreciate it if someone could rough out how best to achieve
this in VHDL, and what part would fit it all in.

It will fit in any fpga with that many pins.
Here's a related example:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&q=vhdl+edge_count+stadler
Get that running on your simulator first,
then make changes one at a time. Good luck.

-- Mike Treseler