    advise me ?

    Thanks,

    Al
    albert, Dec 3, 2007

  2. Toby A Inkster, Dec 3, 2007

  3. albert

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Re: searching a good HTML tutorial

    On 3 Dec, 10:09, "albert" <> wrote:

    > I'm searching a good tutorial to learn HTML / XHTML.
    > Instead of searching in Google and wasting time reading many, can you please
    > advise me ?

    This is quite difficult. There are a great many tutorials around, but
    most aren't very good. The hard part is avoiding the bad ones!

    I like books, so I like "Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML" from
    O'Reilly
    <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/059610197X/codesmiths-20>
    It's the best tutorial I know, and it teaches good "style" as well
    (this is very rare).

    I also like Lie & Bos' "Cascading Style Sheets"
    <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321193121/codesmiths-20>
    This is a good CSS tutorial, accessible to HTML beginners too, and
    remains a useful desktop reference for CSS afterwards.

    For web sites, <http://htmldog.com> is the best I've seen, even though
    it's nothing like the detail of the books.

    <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/cover.html> is also essential, as it's the
    "horse's mouth" for the specification. Not easy reading though!

    Avoid W3Schools.
    Andy Dingley, Dec 3, 2007
  4. albert

    albert Guest

    >> I'm searching a good tutorial to learn HTML / XHTML.
    >
    > http://htmldog.com

    seems to be what I expected, thank you very much.

    Al
    albert, Dec 3, 2007
  5. albert

    albert Guest

    Re: searching a good HTML tutorial

    >> I'm searching a good tutorial to learn HTML / XHTML.
    >> Instead of searching in Google and wasting time reading many, can you
    >> please
    >> advise me ?

    > This is quite difficult. There are a great many tutorials around, but
    > most aren't very good. The hard part is avoiding the bad ones!
    >
    > I like books, so I like "Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML" from
    > O'Reilly
    > <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/059610197X/codesmiths-20>
    > It's the best tutorial I know, and it teaches good "style" as well
    > (this is very rare).
    >
    > I also like Lie & Bos' "Cascading Style Sheets"
    > <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321193121/codesmiths-20>
    > This is a good CSS tutorial, accessible to HTML beginners too, and
    > remains a useful desktop reference for CSS afterwards.
    >
    > For web sites, <http://htmldog.com> is the best I've seen, even though
    > it's nothing like the detail of the books.
    >
    > <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/cover.html> is also essential, as it's the
    > "horse's mouth" for the specification. Not easy reading though!
    >
    > Avoid W3Schools.

    Thank you for your answers. I forgot to mention I needed an online resource.
    I knew W3Schools already, why do you advise to avoid it ?
    HTML dog seems to be what I was searching for.

    Al
    albert, Dec 3, 2007
  6. albert

    On 3 Dec, 17:17, "albert" <> wrote:

    > I knew W3Schools already, why do you advise to avoid it ?

    Poorly written, too little detail to be useful. Much of it narrowly
    avoids being downright "wrong" but is still vague, wooly or misleading.
    Andy Dingley, Dec 3, 2007