    these courses are with the University of Phoenix online and they try
    to teach java in 2 5 week courses. How much am i to expected to learn
    in that amount of time?

    William, Aug 14, 2003

  2. "William" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am currently a college student working towards a BS in IT. I have
    > had 2 courses at this point injava, the current course is java 2. we
    > are using a textbook by Joyce Farrell, and i have purchased abother
    > just to try to get me going. My questions are these? Is there a
    > recommended text that really get down to the nitty gritty, one that
    > even the dumbest person inthe world can understand? I have decided
    > that i do like the challenge, but my experience level is killing me,
    > these courses are with the University of Phoenix online and they try
    > to teach java in 2 5 week courses. How much am i to expected to learn
    > in that amount of time?

    There are two types of books: Books that teach you the API (which is
    available online), and books that try to teach you how to program.

    If you have the first type of book, then just see how they do certain
    commons tasks, such as creating a swing gui, adding objects to it, and using
    them. These books are pretty straight forward and are very easy to follow.
    If you books gives sample code that begins with "import javax.swing.*;" then
    you probably have this type of book. You will probably not need to get any
    extra books as most of them cover the same stuff. You should spend a lot of
    time reading the api and learning what objects work for certain situations
    and how to use them as well.

    If you have the second type of book, then I would recommend that you do
    everything in the book. Also, you must understand how they do things, and
    why they are done that way. You can tell if you have this type of book by
    looking at what the chapters cover. If there is a section on recursion,
    loops, data structures, trees, graphs, etc., then you have this type of
    book. If you have this type of book, and you really want to learn the stuff,
    I would recommend that instead of spending your money other more books, that
    you "reinvent the wheel". You should take the time to read how a linked list
    works, and then implement one yourself. Don't use any of the sample code
    from the book. Instead, draw it out on paper first. Write what methods you
    need, and how they will be done. Use that to help you code it. You will
    later find out that when you have to write a program yourself, you won't
    have a book to copy off of, and you would have never learned how to figure
    stuff out. Once you get fairly good and figuring stuff out, spend time
    reading through the api so you won't have to write your own objects every
    time. Most programs are built from existing tools.

    Instead you should saved your money and take your girlfriend out to dinner.
    She's gonna miss you once you start getting deeper and deeper into this
    stuff. Good luck.

    Miguel De Anda, Aug 14, 2003

  3. "William" <> wrote in message
    > I am currently a college student working towards a BS in IT. I have
    > had 2 courses at this point injava, the current course is java 2. we
    > are using a textbook by Joyce Farrell, and i have purchased abother
    > just to try to get me going. My questions are these? Is there a
    > recommended text that really get down to the nitty gritty, one that
    > even the dumbest person inthe world can understand? I have decided
    > that i do like the challenge, but my experience level is killing me,
    > these courses are with the University of Phoenix online and they try
    > to teach java in 2 5 week courses. How much am i to expected to learn
    > in that amount of time?

    Easiest way is to rewrite the book's sample code out and then make
    modifications to it to watch the effect and gain confidence. It is true Java
    does not take long provided your interest holds. I would say, do not worry
    about retaining *all* the details about the language at this stage. You will
    develop a recall for them as you go along. Best of luck.

    NB

    Nitin Bhatnagar, Aug 20, 2003
  4. William

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:35:16 -0700, "Nitin Bhatnagar" <>
    wrote or quoted :

    > I would say, do not worry
    >about retaining *all* the details about the language at this stage. You will
    >develop a recall for them as you go along.

    I have been coding Java since it first came out. I STILL often look
    up syntax on the Java cheat sheet. See
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jcheat.html

    I rarely write code from scratch. I usually find something remotely
    similar to start. In the process, there are many things I would
    really have to think about to write from scratch, such as hooking up
    an ActionListener.

    It seems very odd on tests not to let people use books. In real life
    you can look up whatever trivia you need. The problem is composing
    questions hard enough you can't just find the answer ready made in a
    book, and easy enough you can complete them in a short time frame.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Aug 20, 2003