Beginners at ASP.NET, should i go vb or vc?

Michael

i'm a beginners at ASP.net and was wondering if i should develop and learn
on vb or vc? which is more powerful? and in terms of support which will be
better? whats the main difference btw the 2??

Scott M.

The only difference is in the syntax. They both perform equally well and
they both have the same capabilities. This was MS's main desire in
developing several languages to choose from. You choose the language that
you are most comfortable.

WJ

I would go with c#. vc best fits windows form than web form. c# closely
resembles both c & java script (client) in term of syntax. VB is MS prop..
Therefore, when I go to other shops, my c# and vc skills have good chance of
being used !

VB is like McDonald and 7/11, and I am dead serious:)

John

Lucas Tam

I would go with c#. vc best fits windows form than web form. c#
closely resembles both c & java script (client) in term of syntax. VB
is MS prop.. Therefore, when I go to other shops, my c# and vc skills
have good chance of being used !

VB is like McDonald and 7/11, and I am dead serious:)

I found that both languages are equally used.

It doesn't matter which language a person learns - since the underlying
framework is the same, it only takes a week or two for a person to switch
from VB to C#.

C# does have the advanage of having the XML documenter... something VB is
lacking tho.

Mark Rae

i'm a beginners at ASP.net and was wondering if i should develop and learn
on vb or vc? which is more powerful? and in terms of support which will be
better? whats the main difference btw the 2??

Mark Rae

i'm a beginners at ASP.net and was wondering if i should develop and learn
on vb or vc? which is more powerful? and in terms of support which will be
better? whats the main difference btw the 2??

Personally, I wouldn't go for either - I'd go for C# instead.

Patrice

vb.net and c# are both quite similar building each on their usual features
such as easy late binding for vb.net or the ability to do "unsafe" code for
C#

Pick the one you are more comfortable depending on your background. Most of
the work annyway is done by common framework classes trahter than by
language constructs...

Kevin Spencer

If you're a beginning developer, and you have some experience with VBScript
or VB, you might want to start out with VB.Net. Your biggenst challenge
isn't going to be the language you learn; it will be the .Net platform
itself, which is quite a learning curve. If you plan to do anything
requiring low-level, unsafe pointer usage or similar, you should probably
learn C, then C#.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Scott M.

VB is like McDonald and 7/11, and I am dead serious:)

And, you are very mis-informed. You haven't given any technical reason why
C# is superior to VB.

As for facts, this question has been debated since .NET was first introduced
and time and time again the facts and the testing show that the languages
perform to the same levels and have the same functionality. If you
understood what the .NET Framework (the CLR, the CTS and IL) was all about,
you'd know that the languages are roughly equivalent.

Sure there are minor differences here and there, but absolutely nothing of
any significance.

Greg Burns

Maybe he meant that VB (programmers) are like McDonald and 7/11. One on
every corner. :^)

I prefer VB, but if I was recommending a path for someone starting out new I
would say C# just for the money. Of course, one should try and be
proficient in both.

Greg

Jim Corey

Just to be contrary, I'm going to say:
If you know VB6, learn C#.

Why? Just so you're not tempted to use your VB6 routines and expertise
in .NET.

And if you're really hot in ASP, get something to erase all that stuff
from your memory. Save a lot of time.

Jim

Scott M.

I guess that's the point, you get to choose what language you want to use
based on personal preference and not technical limitations or superiority.

Scott M.

As a "VB 6.0" and "Classic ASP" person, I can say that there is a lot of
merit to your point.

WJ

Scott M. said:
If you understood what the .NET Framework (the CLR, the CTS and IL) was
all about, you'd know that the languages are roughly equivalent.
I know what a cow is. I just would not like that hBurger !

John

psb

I believe c# "could" be faster than vb in asp.net, because asp.net is
completely written in c#. Although, most tests say they are the same. I
had strong asp/vb6/javascript chops. When I started asp.net, I did c#
because I liked the javascript syntax. I quickly changed back because of
the case sensitivity... -I could never get over having to backspace and
type in "'S'ystem." to get the code completion in the vs.net evironment.
If you go vb, MAKE SURE TO SET OPTION STRICT = TRUE.

~psb

Scott Allen

If you go vb, MAKE SURE TO SET OPTION STRICT = TRUE.

Which is where I believe most of the "c# is faster than vb" myth comes
from. Late binding is a drag.